Exhaust Questions?? (Cut-Outs, Gutting) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust Questions?? (Cut-Outs, Gutting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Questions?? (Cut-Outs, Gutting)

Vehicle: Camaro 3.4 1995

Im looking at adding a cut-out to my exhaust setup. I currently have a flowmaster 80 series, its not loud enough at all. I want to add a cut out for a real loud (hopefully muscle sound) at idle and only certain times. Everything is stock on my exhaust besides the muffler of course. Therefore, what size cut out will i need? Where exactly is the best location for the cut-out when looking for loudness? How should the cut out be angled? I also plan on gutting the cat while im down there. So when the cut out is closed how much of a difference will gutting the cat make in sound? Is i going to sound good at low rpms? or is it going to sound like a honda civic? By the way this is my first post here! THANKS IN ADVANCE

Cut-Out Im Looking @ is a 2" : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-Ga...spagenameZWD1V
    Last edited by KandyZ; 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM.

Re: Exhaust Questions?? (Cut-Outs, Gutting)

gutting the cat will make it louder

Comment

that cutout looks like its from the 1930's. get a flotech or summitt brand. stock exhaust is 2.25" place it right before the over the axle portion of the exhaust
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

I placed my cutout after the cat, before the OTA (over the axel) pipe. If you angle it completely downward, you wont have enough ground clearance. I angled mine maybe 45 degrees or less, using the cars bottom contour as the base for the angle. I did not gut my cat because I'm fairly sure that doing so would trigger an o2 sensor, and cause more work for me with o2 sims etc. Mine is loud enough and muscular enough now, but I have a 3.8 rather than the 3.4.

As for the link you provided, I would not be paying $50 for a cutout. I got mine from www.summitracing.com for $29.99 I think. (their brand)

Lastly, you said you have the flowmaster 80 series - Do you have the whole cat-back? If so, the correct measurments you'll need will be 2.5", which is what I ordered. I put mine in place of the resonator, and had to make some adjustments around the flanged edges where the resonator laid.

Comment

That cutout isn't needed. It's cable operated so he can open it without crawling under the car, but, from what I've heard, when you put the cutout right before the OTA pipe, it's really easy to get to. But, with the one you picked, you could open it up from inside while driving around instead of having to pull over and uncap it (say a ricer pulls up to you. Do you want to go "Hey, wait one second I gotta uncap my cut-out"?) So it's upto you, but I'd go with the cheaper one (only cuz I'd drive with it always open:))
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by KandyZ
            Vehicle: Camaro 3.4 1995

Im looking at adding a cut-out to my exhaust setup. I currently have a flowmaster 80 series, its not loud enough at all. I want to add a cut out for a real loud (hopefully muscule sound) at idle and only certain times. Everything is stock on my exhaust besides the muffler of course. Therefore, what size cut out will i need? Where exactly is the best location for the cut-out when looking for loudness? How should the cut out be angled? I also plan on gutting the cat while im down there. So when the cut out is closed how much of a difference will gutting the cat make in sound? Is i going to sound good at low rpms? or is it going to sound like a honda civic? By the way this is my first post here! THANKS IN ADVANCE

Cut-Out Im Looking @ is a 2" : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-Ga...spagenameZWD1V
            ide get at least a 2.5" cutout of they make 1 man...mine a 3" and i love it...it rasps alot in high rpms but at low rpms ude think u was driving a v8 :D mines a flowtech by the way

Comment

Did the other cut outs from summit and ect: have a cable or do you have to go under the car and switch the plates? can i get the 2" to fit on a 2.25" pipe or a 2.50" pipe
              Last edited by KandyZ; 06-16-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

mines a cap...but its no big deal to me...ide get the 2.5" or 3"

Comment

Originally posted by KandyZ
                  Did the other cut outs from summit and ect: have a cable or do you have to go under the car and switch the plates? can i get the 2" to fit on a 2.25" pipe or a 2.50" pipe
                  No they didn't, they have a cap on them that you get out and undo. As for fitting it, it will fit, but remember, your exhaust is only as efficient as its smallest spot, so it will create a bottleneck in your system. Just get a 2.5" from summit, have a shop weld it in right before the OTA pipe and call it a day.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X