Blocking off EGR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking off EGR?

I'm having trouble with low rpm hesitation. just put on new NGK plugs and Taylor wires and still have the same issue. I did some readin about the EGR to see if that was my problem. Noticed alot of you guys are saying that you just blocked it off instead of replacing it. what do you guys mean when you say you blocked off the EGR, and what exactly does that accomplish? thanks

Re: Blocking off EGR?

you would take out the who egr system. and you can go to zzperformance and order 2 block off plates. you would put one on your intake, and one on your header. some cars might pull codes. mine didn't. you really don't get much if anything from doing this.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

thank you, how does it affect gas milage?

Comment

You will loose 1-2 mpg but nothing too major.
        01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
        AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
        www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
        www.vaperz.com
        PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Mine set a code. Didn't see any gains from it but the thought of less carbon build up in the intake, less heat, and less weight make me happy.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

thanks a bunch guys, and my last question...where can i find the block off plates?

Comment

Originally posted by blackRS
              thanks a bunch guys, and my last question...where can i find the block off plates?
              like kristen said you would take out the who egr system. and you can go to zzperformance and order 2 block off plates. you would put one on your intake, and one on your header. some cars might pull codes. mine didn't. you really don't get much if anything from doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                You will loose 1-2 mpg but nothing too major.
                Hey people, I know this has been discussed before, but I need some suggestions. I've had a hard time dealing with the EGR hose and the header, and right now, I don't know what else to do to make it fit. I've read most of the threads about deleting the EGR, but i'm afraid doing that may do something wrong to the engine, ignorance maybe. And like I've seen, most of you have delete it, especially you Firehawk N Wv.

I live in Puerto Rico, and down here is pretty hot most of the time, and if eliminating the EGR can increase cylinder temperatures, maybe this can be bad for the engine, like I said earlier, ignorance maybe.

My car is a 1997 Firebird, and I have HPTuners, but the option of disabling the EGR from the programming does not appears for my pcm on HPTuners. So the only thing I can do is delete the codes.

This situation is getting on my nerves. What can I do, what are your suggestions people???? Delete EGR, not...
                Last edited by jbmetal; 07-05-2007, 02:17 AM.

Comment

delete it, delete the codes that come up, you are good to go. My 97 has had it removed now for like a year and there are no problems with it.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
                    Mine set a code. Didn't see any gains from it but the thought of less carbon build up in the intake, less heat, and less weight make me happy.

same here, pulled it off and it threw a code within i think 2 days. but the heat and weight arent something im sad about losing.
                    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmetal
                      Hey people, I know this has been discussed before, but I need some suggestions. I've had a hard time dealing with the EGR hose and the header, and right now, I don't know what else to do to make it fit. I've read most of the threads about deleting the EGR, but i'm afraid doing that may do something wrong to the engine, ignorance maybe. And like I've seen, most of you have delete it, especially you Firehawk N Wv.

I live in Puerto Rico, and down here is pretty hot most of the time, and if eliminating the EGR can increase cylinder temperatures, maybe this can be bad for the engine, like I said earlier, ignorance maybe.

My car is a 1997 Firebird, and I have HPTuners, but the option of disabling the EGR from the programming does not appears for my pcm on HPTuners. So the only thing I can do is delete the codes.

This situation is getting on my nerves. What can I do, what are your suggestions people???? Delete EGR, not...
                      2000+ cars dont have them if im correct( maybe just LS1's ), they used a slightly smaller cam in those motors and had no need for the EGR. just rip it off, its not going to hurt anything.
                      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                        delete it, delete the codes that come up, you are good to go. My 97 has had it removed now for like a year and there are no problems with it.
                        Originally posted by loser
                        2000+ cars dont have them if im correct( maybe just LS1's ), they used a slightly smaller cam in those motors and had no need for the EGR. just rip it off, its not going to hurt anything.
                        I think I'll go with it, 'cause this is driving me nuts...

but...what do I have to use to do it, copper rtv will be enough??? and what about the tuning, just the codes, and that's it???
                        Last edited by jbmetal; 07-05-2007, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmetal
                          I think I'll go with it, 'cause this is driving me nuts...

but...what do I have to use to do it, copper rtv will be enough??? and what about the tuning, just the codes, and that's it???
                          yeah, my egr wont stop leaking either.

you can get the blockoff plates from zzp, but as there is only 1 bolt, ive heard that its hard to get them to stay in place (?)

the lt1 egr gaskets are thicker apparently, all you have to do is put it in there and cut off the excess material (the lt1 uses 2 bolts, so the gasket is a bit bigger for that)

but yeah, get a blockoff plate and some RTV and you should be fine.
                          2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                          2006 S60- Sold
                          2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

The bolt is a little pain to get in place, but once you have the block off plate it isnt bad. The rtv blue copper will work just fine. Ive had mine on over a year now with no leaks. Im not sure about the LT1 fitting right.

I have a question though, does anyone with superchargers or turbos have their EGR still and if so did you do anything special to keep it from leaving? I know once I supercharged mine it started eating EGR gaskets like candy so I had to get rid of it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X