"Coughs" CAI, 3"CAT 3" -> 2.5" Catback - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Coughs" CAI, 3"CAT 3" -> 2.5" Catback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Coughs" CAI, 3"CAT 3" -> 2.5" Catback

HELP!
    V6 3800 2000 F'Bird, M5, 90k miles
    Can someone help me out? Having a terribly difficult time.
    Situation:
    Just installed:
    Cold air induction, 3" to 3" cat -> adapter to 2.5" Gibson catback.

Problem:
    "Coughs" during accelerations, "Service engine soon" comes on. My mechanic can't solve it after repeated tries. I'm really stuck. It DID pass emissions before the light came on, whew.

Any ideas?

Re: "Coughs" CAI, 3"CAT 3" -> 2.5" Catback

what is the code? Go somewhere else if "your" mechanic can't fix it. Was it doing it when he had it? if so, what a retard
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Re: "Coughs" CAI, 3"CAT 3" -> 2.5" Catback

Originally posted by LouisC
      HELP!
      V6 3800 2000 F'Bird, M5, 90k miles
      Can someone help me out? Having a terribly difficult time.
      Situation:
      Just installed:
      Cold air induction, 3" to 3" cat -> adapter to 2.5" Gibson catback.

Problem:
      "Coughs" during accelerations, "Service engine soon" comes on. My mechanic can't solve it after repeated tries. I'm really stuck. It DID pass emissions before the light came on, whew.

Any ideas?
      could be the cat. I had problems with an SES light after my cat install. The coughing is rasp. Many V6s are plagued with it. Only way to get rid of it really is a different muffler.
      \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Re: &quot;Coughs&quot; CAI, 3&quot;CAT 3&quot; -&gt; 2.5&quot; Catback

I don't know the codes..all know is he cleaned out the injectors...still no good...and he's the second mechanic that can't ix it...I'm in CT...

Comment

...this is driving me crazy..don't know what to do next...keep hitting dead end after dead end...

Comment

find out what the code is.. go to autozone and they will scan it and tell you what it is for free.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

...will do...thx...

Comment

Problem:

Any ideas?
                WTF does "coughs" during acceleration mean? Is it not accelerating smoothly? If that's the case, check to make sure none of your sparkplug wires are burnt. If it's getting raspy, welcome to the world of lightly modded V6's.
                For the SES light, go to an autozone/advance auto, and tell them to scan it for you. I'm willing to bet it's either P0420 or P0430

Comment

if it's bucking, like the car accelerates and then jumps back and goes blup blup, do plugs and wires.
                  \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

could be something else
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

did you buy the cat brand new? It could be clogged, or defective.
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Code: P0440

Car "sputters, during accelerations even during cruise control", similar to the "bucking" if you shift incorrectly. Stalls, regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold. before a stall, it'll rev to 3000, sink to 750, rev then sink, maybe stall...Mechanic can get it to run well for 30 miles on city roads, then after 30 miles, it reverts to this behavior.

Any ideas? Going crazy, mechanic has it now...possibly the wires, but I'm 80% certain they're good.

New fuel filter, new voltage sensor in gas pedal too.

Comment

..brand new cat..3" to 3", the intermediate pipe 3" to 2.5, brand new Gibson cat back...

Comment

Code: P0440
                            that is "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System" code, so nothing to do with the exhaust at all....the problem is somewhere in your fuel system, near the gas tank. First, check to make sure your gas cap was on all the way, and make sure it's not damaged. If that doesn't solve the problem, check your EVAP system purge lines to make sure they aren't kinked, disconnected or damaged. If that doesn't solve the problem, then find a better mechanic than the one you've been taking it to, and tell him the EVAP system is on the fritz.

Car "sputters, during accelerations even during cruise control", similar to the "bucking" if you shift incorrectly.
                            Check your iginition system...coil packs, sparkplug wires, spark plugs etc etc

Comment

do you have a vaccuum hose loose? A vaccuum leak will possibly make it rev up and down and it will idle like it has an enormous cam if it does idle at all. It will buck and whatnot too, and I'd imagine in an auto it'd be worse

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X