Free Ram Air Question!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ram Air Question!!?

OK, do you absolutely NEED tht plastic/rubber baffel thing. Cuzx it was a pain in the *** to cut, so i thought it would be safe just to take it out? Did anyone else do tht? Also the mod worked pretty good, can definately hear it sucking in air, would i still need a lid?

Re: Free Ram Air Question!!?

Run a straight piece of pipe from the MAF/TB to the box, cut the fins out of the stock air lid, replace filter with K&N. Presto chango.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
      Run a straight piece of pipe from the MAF/TB to the box, cut the fins out of the stock air lid, replace filter with K&N. Presto chango.
      Don't bother with the stock lid modification. Just buy a Whisper lid.

The stock lid modification does nothing. The airflow problem doesn't come from the fins inside the lid. It comes from the oval outlet on the stock lid, which makes the airflow turbulent. The Whisper lid has a round outlet, which smooths out the airflow.

Hasenbonkers - I'm assuming the "plastic baffle thing" you're talking about is the radiator shroud. You're supposed to cut a small section out to allow air to flow into the airbox. I wouldn't remove the thing entirely.
      \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

I would get a lid, but for now you can break off the fins. I did all the free ram air mod with getting rid of the silencer and breaking off the fins. After I finally bought a whisper lid, I knew what I was missing.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

I 2nd that... I did the whole airbox mod, $14.xx at Home Depot, etc... just like josh98bird says, I took the plunge on something I thought I would never waste money on (the whisper lid)... A) installation couldn't have been much easier (no headaches) B) it's noticably better than the free mod. If you're short on cash, the free mod will do for now, but, in short, your next mod needs to be the whisper lid. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by hasenbonkers
            OK, do you absolutely NEED tht plastic/rubber baffel thing. Cuzx it was a pain in the *** to cut, so i thought it would be safe just to take it out? Did anyone else do tht? Also the mod worked pretty good, can definately hear it sucking in air, would i still need a lid?
            What year is your car?
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I use the SLP Lid for the LS1 and black duct hose for my setup. (This was before there was a Whisper Lid or any lid for the V6s.) :)

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_jimi
                I use the SLP Lid for the LS1 and black duct hose for my setup. (This was before there was a Whisper Lid or any lid for the V6s.) :)

TJ
                I did that too with my old car. The Whisper lid for the V6's is better, though, because the SLP lid's center outlet makes a bend in the intake routing.
                \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Don't do the stock lid mod. The lid will be more prone to cracking, the fins help strengthen it. Also the free ram air mod is crap, don't do it. Just get a whisper lid and call it done.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    4 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X