Is cold air intake necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cold air intake necessary?

Are any substantial gains made from putting a cold air intake system on a firebird? The lid intake system seems to pull in fairly ambient tempurature air.

Re: Is cold air intake necessary?

For the newer cars witht eh straight TB, whisper lids are the better bet. You can do FRA and shave your stock lid and get some more flow going. CAI isn't necessary but no mod is necessary...necessary for what? The more mods your car has, the more it is restricted if you don't have good air flow. It's more of a supporting mod then a performance mod by itself.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Sorry, i didnt mean necessary...i meant more like, does it help as a support mod? or would a whisper lid be sufficient? is the hp gain, as well as the support, made from CAI that much better than a whisper lid?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
        For the newer cars witht eh straight TB, whisper lids are the better bet. You can do FRA and shave your stock lid and get some more flow going. CAI isn't necessary but no mod is necessary...necessary for what? The more mods your car has, the more it is restricted if you don't have good air flow. It's more of a supporting mod then a performance mod by itself.

That confused me lol. I would suppose people put CIAs in for more power, while its not going to gain tremendous power, its still the motive for putting it in. How is it more restricted with more mods?
        2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

he's stating that when the engine is modded heavily.. it has potential to run faster and more efficiently and to do that... more air induction is needed. You can add mods and forget about exhaust/intake, but you won't reach your potential.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
            he's stating that when the engine is modded heavily.. it has potential to run faster and more efficiently and to do that... more air induction is needed. You can add mods and forget about exhaust/intake, but you won't reach your potential.

My fault I read it wrong. :twak:
            2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Sorry, i didnt mean necessary...i meant more like, does it help as a support mod? or would a whisper lid be sufficient? is the hp gain, as well as the support, made from CAI that much better than a whisper lid?

Comment

no. Pretty much the only people that get CAIs are guys with angled TBs like me. Whisper lid is a better bet for those that it works for. Same gains.
                Last edited by FirebirdGT; 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Thanks for your help.
                  Last edited by FirebirdGT; 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X