Not sure what to think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what to think

Quick question...im not sure what to think this could be a bunch of problems or it could all be related. I just had headers installed on my car in the process my EGR and O2 sensor got broken and have been replaced. Now a few days later im hearing a clicking gurgling kinda noise coming from the passenger dash side of the car. When i get out of the car there is a rattling noise which i have traced to the area of the Cat. On top of this when i start my car in the morning it smells like a boat motor and I find its running kinda hot when idling...about half way up the temp guage...could this be a result of a bad cat? I know i didnt have a functional O2 sensor for about a week and that would make me run rich which is not good for the cat.
    My original guess was it was an exhaust leak...but the noise doesnt happen all the time...only 95% of the time...i dunno what to think? any opinions?
    P.S the Cat is original and the car has 167K on it

Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Not sure what to think

middles way up the gauge is not running hot. it is normal operating temps.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Check the install for leaks, double check all bolts are tight. Replace cat with high flow or straight pipe. This will throw a code so then that means the next install is a mail order tune in which you can have that code removed so it won't show :D I love helping others spend their money, wasn't that fun?
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Putting a high flow cat would throw a code?...is it possible that having a bad cat would make your car sound as if you have an exhaust leak?

Comment

not really. you might hear some muffled puffs but you will have difficulty getting your engine to rev up past 3K or so while driving. thats if it is clogged
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

The car pretty much sounds as if it has something stuck in it...i keep hoping its just gunna spit sumthing out the back and be cleared up lol...but i dont have problems reving it at all...in fact usually i have the sound at low rpm...but then it might go away and only happen at high rpm...which makes me think i might have somthing loose in the cat? or its starting to break apart...i dunno...i know it rattles now to when at idle....

Comment

K I found the problem...ended up being the headers bolts came loose at the Y pipe flanges....however there is still a quiet knocking noise every once in awhile and the car vibrates...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X