X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Magnaflow now SES

hi,
    Fitted a new magnaflow catback system about six weeks ago to my 98 Firebird. and changed out the three o2 sensors at the same time. Now I have the SES light on. Had the car scanned and the garage says the new exhaust is causing the problem?????

The exhaust pipes are very black but not wet or oily.

Any ideas
    Thanks

Vic

Re: New Magnaflow now SES

what code was it?
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Didn't give me the code just said it was an o2 related one. I thought that as this was a cat-back system it would have zero effect on the sensors. They just said the new exhaust was flowing better than the old one and the lack of back pressure was causing the problem. They checked everything and said there were no other engine management related codes stored and not to worry about it??

Thanks

Vic

Comment

Tell me the shop told you the code.

Comment

did you check the o2 sensors?
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Didn't give me the code just said it was an o2 related one. I thought that as this was a cat-back system it would have zero effect on the sensors. They just said the new exhaust was flowing better than the old one and the lack of back pressure was causing the problem. They checked everything and said there were no other engine management related codes stored and not to worry about it??
            The catback has zero effect on the sensors: that's bull**** that less backpressure caused the code. Go to Auto Zone, have them read the code for you, and write it down so you can tell everyone what it is. Most likely, an 02 sensor is just bad.
            -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

I will get the code tomorrow and no I didn't check the sensors just bought genuine GM ones.

Thanks

Comment

Never heard of backpressure setting a code......sounds like BS.
                Prob a sensor.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

I don't see how backpressure can cause a code...

I'd put money that one of the sensors is bad or installed incorrectly. I've been told by plently of shops that something else is the reason for the code. When they think you mod your car, then they think thats the problem. I bet they looked over the car and just said, well I bet its the exhaust.
                  Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

I can't stand some shops...bet it's you downstream O2.

Comment

You probably hooked an upstream O2 in place of your down stream if you bought them all at the same time. Probably just need to switch 2 of the sensors, or you may have bought all upstream, or all downstream.
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

low back pressure does not cause codes on our cars.

repost with a code

Stupid replies causes migraines though.
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X