Gutting a CAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutting a CAT

I was wondering how exactly to go about "gutting a cat." I've heard about it but I don't know how to do it. I know it's kind of a dumb question but I just was just wondering how it is done.

Re: Gutting a CAT

Well first you need a filet knife. Then you make a cut down it's center, you did kill it first right? After making the cut you just start pulling what you see out. It's that simple.

Honestly IDK hopefully someone with a serious answer will chime in.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Do you live in a state with emissions test?

If not then just replace with a straight pipe

(that's if they just visually make sure it's there)
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I live in Illinois. I still just have a stock cat on my Camaro. I just wanted to know how to do it.

Comment

get under the car, and cut out the bottom of the cat. Do all the cutting as clean as you can. once you get the bottom off, you can see inside it. Cut it all out. Weld the bottom back on, and you've got a gutted cat. Congratulations.

*Note: RadRacer is not in any way responsible for any damaged cause by not properly gutting your car. Any damage sustained to you, your car, or anyone else is of your concern and is not the fault of RadRacer. Try at your own risk* Just had to put that so in case you screw something up you don't go off blaming me. Anyways, that's how I did mine long ago. It's pretty easy as long as you can weld and use a cutting torch or dremel.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

i gutted a cat on my old car... friend and i just took the cat off, or well cats... and took a steel rod and poked the crap out... worked pretty well, theres no cutting that way. ehh, thats how we did it.

Comment

Very easycut it off and get a big screw driver or broomstick metal is preferable. Then start pounding the inside till the catalyst starts to break up and fall out.
              With that being said spend 55$ on ebay and get a highflow cat, Just trust me on this one.

Comment

if you are doing this for performance then get a high flow bc if you have just a hollow cat the body is still like muffler shaped so the air doesnt flow right through it fights in that emplty cat shell. a high flow is like an empty pipe that lets the gap where the cat was just be like it was an extension of pipe no cat. no restriction=more hp.hope that makes sense.
                cant wait till my lt1 and nitrous.

Comment

Originally posted by camaro9407
                  if you are doing this for performance then get a high flow bc if you have just a hollow cat the body is still like muffler shaped so the air doesnt flow right through it fights in that emplty cat shell. a high flow is like an empty pipe that lets the gap where the cat was just be like it was an extension of pipe no cat. no restriction=more hp.hope that makes sense.
                  are you telling him to gut a high flow cat? why not just slap the cat shell around a straight pipe to make it look like a cat is there?

Comment

Originally posted by camaro9407
                    ????
                    This is totally wrong, have you ever looked inside a high flow? looks like the maf screen in our intake on each side.

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
                    Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
                    http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

Originally posted by airattack111
                      ????
                      This is totally wrong, have you ever looked inside a high flow? looks like the maf screen in our intake on each side.
                      I think what he's trying to say is that the air won't have anywhere to expand in a highlow because of the design. In a gutted cat, when the air enters, there's plenty of room so it'll most likely expand to fill it up, then have to shrink back down to leave the cat causing a brief interuption in flow. I've never seen a highflow (always gutted or straight piped mine), but you could just put a pipe in place or through the cat if you're that worried about airflow.
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

no i was saying a high flow cat flows better than a hollow cat bc there is still restriction on a hollow cat and a high flow is like a test pipe. hollow. you cant gut a high flow
                        cant wait till my lt1 and nitrous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X