This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Intake?

i was wondering if anyone knew what or better, a custom cold intake with an k&n filter located in the factory airbox location, or an whisper lid, with a k&n filter, and a air scoop for below the radiator. a custom intake would be a lot cheaper, but what would the performance differences be?

Re: Custom Intake?

uh, what year car do you have first of all, then we can go from there
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Custom Intake?

yea sorry about that, i own a 98, and i mean putting the filter in the right lower corner of the engine bay
      Last edited by Chase Walker; 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM.

Comment

maybe i have a 98 too.
        i wana keep the stock look and im think`n of cuting a slit each side of the air silencer and sliding 2 metal or plastic plates there to delete those stupidair pockets and epoxying them so it smooth air flow ..what you think cuz im think`n of doin it this week maybe thurs,friday.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzon
          maybe i have a 98 too.
          i wana keep the stock look and im think`n of cuting a slit each side of the air silencer and sliding 2 metal or plastic plates there to delete those stupidair pockets and epoxying them so it smooth air flow ..what you think cuz im think`n of doin it this week maybe thurs,friday.
          just replace the sliencer with a hose.

Search guys, All your answers can be found in the search.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

That is a good improvement over stock but a whisper lid is still a bit better (that said I still haven't bought a lid). For god sakes though don't do the free ram air mod.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
              That is a good improvement over stock but a whisper lid is still a bit better (that said I still haven't bought a lid). For god sakes though don't do the free ram air mod.

What do you mean by free ram air hood?
              2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Did I say free ram air hood? No. I said free ram air mod. Ram air doesn't necessarily mean that the air is coming in from the hood. The free ram air mod involves you cutting out part of the bottom of your air box. The problem is it is pulling from an area with a lot of heat and doesn't amount to any real gains in power. Now if you have a firebird you can cut out the nostrils and have a pretty decent ram air system if you are ok with cutting up your hood. There is a write up somewhere on that if you are interested.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

1. Take out that black piece that your air filter is sitting in.
                  2. Cut out the plastic that is covering about half the area underneath where your air filter sits.
                  3. Replace the black piece
                  4. Detach the Air intake lid (The piece that goes on top of your air filter)
                  5. Remove the air silencer
                  6. Connect a 5"-6" long 3" wide PVC to the same hose that was holding the air silencer on.
                  7. Reconnect the Air intake lid, only this time connect its hose to the other end of the PCV pipe.

viola, you now have a faster and better sounding mean machine.
                  2002 Red Camaro 3.8L<br />Monsoon stereo with T-Tops

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroDude
                    1. Take out that black piece that your air filter is sitting in.
                    2. Cut out the plastic that is covering about half the area underneath where your air filter sits.
                    3. Replace the black piece
                    4. Detach the Air intake lid (The piece that goes on top of your air filter)
                    5. Remove the air silencer
                    6. Connect a 5"-6" long 3" wide PVC to the same hose that was holding the air silencer on.
                    7. Reconnect the Air intake lid, only this time connect its hose to the other end of the PCV pipe.

viola, you now have a faster and better sounding mean machine.
                    The OP has an angled TB, so that ain't gonna happen

Comment

That is exactly what I was saying not to do, but i don't know much about 4th gen F-body's at all :sarcasm: . If you want ram air get a hood or one of the many under hood options like the super sucker or the SLP. Heat is the reason not to do what he recommended. The silencer delete is great though.

Comment

It not really custom, but i bought mine from chromeintakes off of ebay...cost me 30$ and works pretty good but mines a 96...im sure they make one for 98 to...u just gotta look around...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

They don't we have a completely different system with an airbox and a lid. Where your intake goes to we have fuse boxes. Only option other than modifying the stock system is to buy a whisper lid.

Comment

search guys
                            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Let's get one thing straight first. The 98 is the ONLY year of this intake configuration. It has the angled TB same as the 95-97 and the lid as the 99-02 cars. SO, be VERY careful who you listen to for advice.
                              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X