X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just ordered a cutout

I just ordered a summit racing cutout for my 3.8

couple questions...

first, where is the best place to have the cutout placed, right after the cat?
    a guy on another site told me to face it directly to the ground so the sound hits the ground and resonates back and the car acts as a sound box (for the loudest sound)

secondly, about how much should I have to pay at a muffler shop to have this mounted? $25, $30?

Lastly, when accelerating to like 3k rpms, which I dont do real often, does the car still give a full sound with the cutout? or are you supposed to stay under like 2.5k?

Re: just ordered a cutout

Originally posted by The Bronx Bull 9
    I just ordered a summit racing cutout for my 3.8

couple questions...

first, where is the best place to have the cutout placed, right after the cat?
    a guy on another site told me to face it directly to the ground so the sound hits the ground and resonates back and the car acts as a sound box (for the loudest sound)

secondly, about how much should I have to pay at a muffler shop to have this mounted? $25, $30?

Lastly, when accelerating to like 3k rpms, which I dont do real often, does the car still give a full sound with the cutout? or are you supposed to stay under like 2.5k?
    closer to the motor, the louder it will be. most place it before the "over the axle pipe" just so it doesnt go through the muffler.

i would NOT point it directly at the ground becuase, 1. that would kill your ground clearance. and 2. it would resonate badly, probally rattle/virbrate the car and be very annoying on the highway.

you can rev the motor as high as you want, cut out has nothing to do with that.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

ok and the cutout doesn't affect the o2 sensors at all? Am I correct in saying that if I put it before the cat I would need an o2 sim?

Im probably going to put it right after the cat. Would a good Idea be to place it in place of the flowmaster resonator that came with the catback?

Comment

ok and the cutout doesn't affect the o2 sensors at all? Am I correct in saying that if I put it before the cat I would need an o2 sim?

Im probably going to put it right after the cat. Would a good Idea be to place it in place of the flowmaster resonator that came with the catback?
        i dont see how the cutout would effect the o2's. i soposse maybe they'd get a low flow becuase all the gases are exiting out the cutout, but i doubt it. and even if it did, the SES light would go away when you closed the cut out.

most people put them before the muffler is becuase its the biggest restriction they have, and wont be super loud ( compared to before cat ) putting it in place of the flowmaster resonator sound like a great idea.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

anyone else have any info on this?

Comment

I know my friend put a cutout on his (he has a 97 camro with a custom exhaust), but he also doesn't have a muffler/resonator on his and it's a v8. it all depends firstly if it's an electric cutout. If not, you may want to install it closer to the over the axle pipe, to make it easier to open (heck, I've never even used a mechanical cutout). I'd still suggest post cat, but as clsoe to it as you can get, with it angled 300*. Just my .02
            Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

put it at a 45* angle to help with it resonating and causing vibrations

Comment

anyone else have any info on this?
                what loser said is pretty much the general consensus on cutouts

Comment

Ive heard of HP loss at lower rpm with a cutout. If you have the electric butterfly on it try hooking a window switch to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                    Ive heard of HP loss at lower rpm with a cutout. If you have the electric butterfly on it try hooking a window switch to it.
                    you dont really LOSE hp, it just moves your peak power up the rpm range a little. lots of things do that, headers,cam, good flowing cat backs, ect. its nothing bad.

i didnt notice any loss when i put my exhuast on.

on a dyno you will make more power, on the street you will make more power. its usaully not even noticable.

now, when i took my car around the block open headers, yea, i noticed low end was a little less responsive, but thats an extreme example.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                      you dont really LOSE hp, it just moves your peak power up the rpm range a little. lots of things do that, headers,cam, good flowing cat backs, ect. its nothing bad.

i didnt notice any loss when i put my exhuast on.

on a dyno you will make more power, on the street you will make more power. its usaully not even noticable.

now, when i took my car around the block open headers, yea, i noticed low end was a little less responsive, but thats an extreme example.
                      12secondv6 says he lost hp on the dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                        i dont recall where he had his. i know he said he usaully runs through his whole system ( loudmouth ) so i dont see how he could have lost anything, the loudmouth is basicly straight pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                          he may have experienced a loss in peak HP, but how did the area-under-the-curve fair? After all, going fast isn't always about making high HP number...otherwise, you'd see alot more 400 HP Trans Am's losing to 1000HP supra's

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X