went and had my codes scanned at autozone, hehe - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

went and had my codes scanned at autozone, hehe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• went and had my codes scanned at autozone, hehe

so my SES light has been on ever since i got my headers installed, but the car hasnt been driving right, so i wanted to check and make sure nothing else came up.

i walked into autozone and asked the lady if she could check it for me. she came out, plugged the thing in. after a minute or two, she just looked at me and said "wow! i hope you have a warranty on this car!" so i asked her what code it was throwing, at which point she told me there were 5. so i asked her which, and she said that it was my front and rear o2 sensors, and my catalytic converter. i just laughed, and said that it was good news. she got really weird, and told me that it was a serious problem... and was quite surprised when i told her that i caused it all, knowingly.

i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a misfire or something!

i know that my egr is part of the problem. so that is going to be fixed shortly. but what should i do for the others? is my best bet to get some o2 sims? have it tuned? anything else?
    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
    2006 S60- Sold
    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Re: went and had my codes scanned at autozone, hehe

When I had my headers installed the shop told me that its common for O2 sensors to go bad afterwards. Replace the O2 sensors and you should be fine. I had to replace mine after 500 miles with the new headers.
    Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

get the o2 sim. i had the same problem. 3 mins of work and it was fine
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

do i need an o2 sim for every sensor? or is it just one?
        2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
        2006 S60- Sold

Comment

isn't it supposed to be the 2 upper o2s? I know on my car those were the only sensors that were *****ing, i wired in the sims and that was it. if you know someone with hp tuners they can go in and just turn it off that way to.

Comment

I think they only make a sim for the after cat sensor. I've had my headers on now for about 5k miles and haven't thrown a code. I have heard of them going bad, should it throw a code if they are bad or should i just replace them?
            Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Yea, my 02's went bad after I installed my headers as well. I replaced them and it threw the code again. I just had the codes tuned out and my 02 system turned off with the tune. No problems has resulted because of that.
              01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
              AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
              www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
              www.vaperz.com
              PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

what could cause the front o2's to go bad?
                2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                2006 S60- Sold

Comment

The sim is for the post-cat sensor.
                  1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 98 3.8
                    The sim is for the post-cat sensor.
                    yep, i wouldnt put them on the front 2, their alot more important.

usaully just the post cat 02 sensor throws a code from what i understand. mine only threw ( still throwing ) one for the post cat.

btw, 02 sims are hit and miss, i have one and it worked for a month or so, then the light came back on. other people have this problem too, just have to tune it out or live with it i guess.
                    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Holy **** i can not believe what I am reading. the post cat 02 sensor is the only sensor that doesn't really matter and get be tuned out or simmed. the front two are extremely important to engine drive-ability.
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i know that the front 2 are more important. what could be causing them though??
                        the egr?
                        2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                        2006 S60- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                          Holy **** i can not believe what I am reading. the post cat 02 sensor is the only sensor that doesn't really matter and get be tuned out or simmed. the front two are extremely important to engine drive-ability.
                          ^what he said.

steve- how many miles are on your car? They may just be worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by caspernicus
                            ^what he said.

steve- how many miles are on your car? They may just be worn out.
                            35xxx...
                            2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                            2006 S60- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by stevethepirate
                              35xxx...
                              high milage and running rich are the most common reasons i belive.

whats wrong with your egr?
                              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X