rattling sound from exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling sound from exhaust

hey. i just have a quick question. when i start my car my exhaust sounds fine, but after running it any distance, the exhaust seems to rattle on the right side(dual exhaust). anyone know why.

Re: rattling sound from exhaust

check you cat or see if any pipes are rubbing against anything.

-Y87
    Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

this could be so many things.. and i see posts like this all the time. just go under there and push/move stuff around and see if its rubbing anything or you see something broken. might be hitting the heat shields as well.
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

heat shields are a good possiblitly. do what david said, shake/move your exhuast and see. heat shields are the most common issue.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
          heat shields are a good possiblitly. do what david said, shake/move your exhuast and see. heat shields are the most common issue.
          Yea, most likely will be heat shields or your cat. On my car it just happened to be the cat, which for me worked out because I got a hiflow cat and 3" piping all the way back out of it :D
          2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Some thing with me and it was the Cat and the Chevy dealer
            replaced it no charge...none.
            Phil

Comment

Funny, when my cat was going bad it made the worst noise when I firsted started the car....
              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Right now as we speak my exhaust manifold heatshield bolt has broken and it rattles really bad when i start it up in the morning, at idle, and then just cruising.

Comment

it could be the heat shield, a loose hanger, or you may need to add another hanger, same thing happened to me, and now that its cold it makes a little noise too, i just think its due to the cold and it being metal. but in the summer it sounds fine.

Comment

ya. for the first little while, the car is fine, then once it gets hot it rattles. i still cant find why. i checked EVERYTHING, and havent found one thing wrong, except that maybe it isnt a true dual exhaust as i hoped. (bought the car used)

Comment

could very well be your muffler having broken baffles flying around rattling everything all to hell... thats what was making my exhaust rattle...
                      2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X