New intake idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New intake idea

I was at advance auto parts and seen this big air cleaner that looked like it would fit right on the intake. I was wondering if i could just stick that right on the intake and put AIT sensor in the short tube and if would see any gains. Otherwise i was going to take some metal tubing and put the air cleaner in the stock location so it would be like the K&N CAI intake. Will these ideas work. In the future i plan on building cheap 3in exhaust. The air cleaner is only like 25$.:)
    Last edited by 02bluecamaro; 03-28-2007, 09:18 AM.

Re: New intake idea

It would work, and you may see some gains. It'll probably sound louder, and have abit better airflow, but you're still sucking in hot air right from the engine bay. I'd say make one with tubing, and when you do take it all the way into the fenderwell, that way you get good cool air.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

yea i got the idea from muscle car tv when they installed a ram jet. Also my budgets extremely low because ive only had my liscense less than a month and i still need new bumper for my 02 camaro because i learned the hard way why not to drive in the winter without being carefull.;)

Comment

don't think that would be a good idea...I think you will get less airflow and the air you do get will be hot engine bay air...

but the filter at the stock location and replace the restrictive intake 'tubing' with some free flowing tubing
        1999 Camaro Z/28
        1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
          don't think that would be a good idea...I think you will get less airflow and the air you do get will be hot engine bay air...

but the filter at the stock location and replace the restrictive intake 'tubing' with some free flowing tubing
          agreed. go with that over the large filter idea.

Comment

do u think i should modify the stock air box cover by cutting out the little divider were the air leaves the air box. Also i cant aford a different filter so would just changing the tubing and keeping the stock air filter. My other optionn was like RadRacer said to locate the filter in the fender well. Wat would give me the most power gain.

Comment

I didn't take a look at your name ealier. From it, I'm gonna assume you have an '02 Camaro :P Anyways, since you have the intake lids, cut the fins inside it and replace the rubber hose with a peice of PVC or metal tubing. Then cut out the bottom of your airbox if you want to get some cooler air in. I'd do all that instead of taking it into the fenderwell. I only suggested moving it to the fenderwell because i though you had a pre-98 car, and they have different intake.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

well for now i just removed the air box silencer thing and replaced that with some pvc tubing we had lying around. I had to wrap alot of electrical tape around the tube and and used the stock couplers. Test drove it and seemed alittle bit quicker. cracked tires loose at 1/4 throttle. Stupid open diff.

Comment

Originally posted by 02bluecamaro
                  well for now i just removed the air box silencer thing and replaced that with some pvc tubing we had lying around. I had to wrap alot of electrical tape around the tube and and used the stock couplers. Test drove it and seemed alittle bit quicker. cracked tires loose at 1/4 throttle. Stupid open diff.
                  Why did you wrap it with electrical tape?
                  2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

the stock couplers were to big. I think the pipe is 2 small. Im going 2 try and get some metal ducting pipe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X