Remove stock muffler or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove stock muffler or not?

I have a 96 3.8 with the single exit exhaust. I'm planing to do a full exhaust later, but I was wondering if it would sound bad if I replaced the muffler with straight pipe in the mean time?

I can't find a sound clip so I thought I would ask!

Re: Remove stock muffler or not?

Originally posted by kest874
    but I was wondering if it would sound bad if I replaced the muffler with straight pipe in the mean time?
    depends if you like rasp or not

Comment

It will sound bad...I had mine like that for a couple hours...

I have a Borla Cat-Back for sale if your interested
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

What changed your mind about useing the Borla system?

I'm not too positive I want the rasp noise.... so I may avoid takeing it off....

Comment

I say go for a dual tip muffler. A shop should be able to install one for you for about $100-$200...depending on the brand you want. You'll get a slight HP increase and the exhaust tone shouldn't be anything to draw attention.
          sigpic

Comment

Ultimately I want to install headers, new cat, and the magnaflow catback. I'm just looking for more excitment until this summer when I can afford to do it.

I might just for giggles take the stock muffler off and see what it sounds like. If it's unbearable I'll put it back on.

I had an '85 Corvette that I used to race with full length headers, cat, and straight pipes. I used to love the way it sounded. Although it was a V8....

Comment

3800 car sound completely different from any V8 car as soon as you stop idling. i have discovered this, they sound MEAN at idle but then into higher RPMs it does that little V6 noise. im sure there are a lot of people in here that know wht im talking about.

i recently was looking at a 96 camaro that they were trying to say had a cat back system on it. but it was just a muffler. couldnt hear it inside the car and in fact you couldnt even tell that it had a muffler unless you looked. sounded just a little, and i mean a little, louder with the flowmaster muff on there.

i wouldnt bother with switching out the muffler... i would do something like a short throw shirter or a shift kit if your running an auto. the muffler mod is stupid. if your going for $ into power, your going to spend too much money for the muffler and work to put it in, then what your going to get out of it. you will be dissappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by rdrr96
                i wouldnt bother with switching out the muffler... i would do something like a short throw shirter or a shift kit if your running an auto. the muffler mod is stupid. if your going for $ into power, your going to spend too much money for the muffler and work to put it in, then what your going to get out of it. you will be dissappointed.
                stupid? the sound is much improved w/ just a flowmaster muffler, the muffler is the most important part of the cat-back (now if your going to 3", that might be another issue)

but yes, I'm selling the car, so if you want the Borla system, let me know, there the best in the business
                1999 Camaro Z/28
                1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Hey Bad Influence.....which Borla system is it, how much milage has it endured and what is your asking price? Thanks.

Comment

i think it sounds like crap.
                    2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

Originally posted by Muteki
                      Hey Bad Influence.....which Borla system is it, how much milage has it endured and what is your asking price? Thanks.
                      It's in the for sale section...I have someone interested in it, no payment yet so if you can beat $300 shipped It's yours...

It's in the For Sale section titled "Borla 3" Cat-Back"

all the info is in there
                      1999 Camaro Z/28
                      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by redbird00
                        i think it sounds like crap.
                        Same here. Sounds like major poo poo.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
                          Same here. Sounds like major poo poo.
                          get a flowmaster cat back and be done with it

-Y87
                          Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X