vibrating noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrating noise...

I have an aftermarket muffler, but stock cat. When im in low gears in low rpms, theres this loud annoying rattling sound... like the muffler is loose or something. I took to to they guy that put it on and he said they muffler wasn't loose. So do yall think the stock cat is the problem?

Re: vibrating noise...

if you have ramps, use them and check and see how close the exhaust is to the body or something else it could contact, might try and shake it alittle(the exhaust). mine does this too and i just need to get the time to fix it.

having the stock cat shouldnt effect anything as long as the exhaust was installed right.
    2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

could be many things. i suggest the same as Silv6. check under there and see if any pipes or anything are close to the heat shields or if there is anything you can see visually that might be causing it to vibrate/rattle. shake around the pipes and see if you notice anything too. might just be a loose bolt or something somewhere that needs to be tightened up. also, a good way to see if the cat is whats causing your noise.. is to bang on it a little and see if you hear stuff rattling around.. if you do: time for a new cat.
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I had the exact rattling noise problem you're describing, a rattle or buzzing sound in lower gears. I took my bird to the mechanic just yesterday for them to check it out.

They told me today it is in fact the cat. He believes there's a broken ceramic fragment inside rattling around. I'd suggest you start by checking out your cat.

Comment

cool. im gonna take a look under the car tommorow. What makes me wonder though is that when i first got the muffler put on, it didnt make that noise... and when i floor it... it REALLLY rattles.

Comment

Dont forget if your have less that 80K miles or your car is less than 8 years old GM has to replace your cat free of charge. Its the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
              Dont forget if your have less that 80K miles or your car is less than 8 years old GM has to replace your cat free of charge. Its the law.
              its a 98 with 112,XXX.....:(

Comment

i have a rattle too, but its in my muffler, so something in there is broken, so i'm just redoing my entire exhaust with a rumbler and catco, slowly but surely i am getting there, i think there is a flowmaster on there now, was on when i bought the car

Comment

Originally posted by AlmondRocca
                  its a 98 with 112,XXX.....:(
                  Damn just missed.

Comment

Originally posted by WarmMachineME
                    I had the exact rattling noise problem you're describing, a rattle or buzzing sound in lower gears. I took my bird to the mechanic just yesterday for them to check it out.

They told me today it is in fact the cat. He believes there's a broken ceramic fragment inside rattling around. I'd suggest you start by checking out your cat.
                    The same happened to me too. Eventually. a large chunk of ceramics broke off and completely blocked the exhaust. The car wouldn't rev past 2000 RPM and I could only use first gear, as it wasn't enough engine speed to shirt.

On a funny note, the mechanic that was looking at it told me it was the clutch going out. I told him, :bs: , a bad clutch wouldn't make it not rev past 2K. He said, "sure it will; it's slipping." I said, "Slipping would cause it to tach way up without moving." He then said, "Who's the mechanic here?" to which I answer, "I'm wondering that myself."

Lounge Moderator

Comment

well since your going to be in the market now for a cat, you should just start looking for a hi-flow cat while your at it.

Comment

that would be my best bet! Do yall know any good brands? or a good place to get one? TIA

Comment

As others kindly pointed out to me not long ago, a fine Magnaflow hi-flow cat can be found on eBay for ~$50-$60.

Otherwise, the distributors listed in the sticky up top sell them, particularly Summitracing, but it's the same cat essentially as on eBay, so...

Comment

Hmm.. maybe i should check my cat out as well...

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                            i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                            R.I.P. '07 Pats
                            Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

See, I still have the noise I was mentioning in my thread, but i had a gotten a couple suggestoins like exhaust leak or a backpressure problem. Still havent figured it out. So it could be one of many things ><

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X