pipe rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe rattling

My exhaust pipe just started rattling a couple of days ago. It sounds like it's coming from under of the center of the car,I've looked under there and the only place it's attached is at the cat.I checked the bracket and the bushing it's attached to and it looks ok so I'm at a loss. Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: pipe rattling

Originally posted by fatcat
    My exhaust pipe just started rattling a couple of days ago. It sounds like it's coming from under of the center of the car,I've looked under there and the only place it's attached is at the cat.I checked the bracket and the bushing it's attached to and it looks ok so I'm at a loss. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes. See if it is touching the cross member. If it is just get a pry bar and lift it a little. It must be touching something somewhere along its path.

Comment

alot of times its just a heat shield rattling. check the one above the cat and then the one after the S pipe.
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

mine was rattling like that and all i did was put 4 washers on each cross member bolt and that fixed the problem

Comment

i used a metal clamp (hose clamop i think)to fasten the heat sheild back down to the pipe.

Comment

most of the time its a heat shield, or the driveshaft tunnel brace if you want to call it that, but mine however has something broken inside the muffler, just get under there and hit the muffler and see if it rattles

Comment

Originally posted by loser
              alot of times its just a heat shield rattling. check the one above the cat and then the one after the S pipe.
              Is it safe to remove the heatshield above the cat?

Comment

not so much no. your cat gets really hot. I have seen someones carpet that had caught on fire cause the converter clogged up and basically over heated to where it gets red. that cat HAD its sheilds on :eek:
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I have a brand new high flow 3'' cat with a 3'' s pipe and tsp rumbler - the cat heat shield is rattling and my cat clamp was hitting on it so i just removed it altogether and the rattling is fixed now - but obviously I don't want to risk a fire... does anyone leave it off/ is it OK?

Comment

What year and model car do you have? Do you have a 3.4L or a 3.8L?

I ask because I had an annoying rattle that wouldnt go away and it was because the 3.4L Y-pipe is shielded completely. It has a smaller pipe inside the pipe you can see and mine touches and vibrates. Drives me nuts, only way to fix it is to replace it. I ended up drilling holes and welding fix points to the inside pipe to prevent it from rattling. I hope this is not your problem because it is a PITA.
                    <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~beer13oy/carpage.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 3.4 Liter M5 Camaro</b></a><br />A few mods...<br />still slow.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.mnfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Minnesota F-body</a>

Comment

I got a 98 3.8 m5. I had to play around with the exhaust a bit after installing the cat+welding the 3'' s pipe and TSP rumbler....It had clearance issues hitting on the rear axle which I fixed but the cat is hitting on the heatshield...so I took it off and its fine now. I dont see how it could burn through the body and carpet - but that's why I'm asking to make sure.

Comment

You shouldn't have any issues as long as the body is not making contact with the body...but install properly, you shouldn't have any clearance issues. Was it a custom S pipe? Did you hang the axle back before making your welds?

Comment

I welded the S pipe myself from a Jegs U bend. The cat is clamped onto the collector and S pipe - so that's why I didn't have enough clearance with the clamp. Now with the heatshield off, its not hitting or rattling anymore. I just wanted to know if its fine to run with no cat heatshield shield (possible fire hazard? etc..)

Comment

Originally posted by lubsvitek
                            I welded the S pipe myself from a Jegs U bend. The cat is clamped onto the collector and S pipe - so that's why I didn't have enough clearance with the clamp. Now with the heatshield off, its not hitting or rattling anymore. I just wanted to know if its fine to run with no cat heatshield shield (possible fire hazard? etc..)
                            its fine, i dont have one and never noticed a issuse. LOTS of people run around with out them.
                            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              4 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X