Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers

I just talked with our Autoshop teacher, and he told me that if I put headers on my 99 3.8 that they will need to be insulated; he said if not they will melt my AC box. Is this true?

Re: Headers

no, it's not

Comment

no its not true. me and plenty of people on this board dont have them insulated and havent had problems. however, this doesnt mean your teacher is stupid, lots of cars with aftermarket headers have problems with other parts overheating. but our cars are OK. one thing to watch for, however, is that you keep your spark plug boots away from the headers. if the wire or the boot gets too close it could cause a nasty misfire (i speak from experience).
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

^that's more of a routing issue, rather than a header issue. ANY exhaust manifold will burn a wire...some are just easier to do than others

Comment

Thanks; if i took my car to a shop about how much should I expect to pay? There is only one shop in town that will do it, so i wont be able to shop around.
          For the record; the auto teacher is not really my teacher; I teach History we work together.

Thanks for the info

Comment

3-400

Comment

I have heard everything from 300 too the unimaginable. its pretty easy to do yourself if everything goes well.
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Would I need a lift? or could I just use jack stands? I dont think the bolts will break; there is only 25,000miles on the car.

Comment

you'll need to put them in from beneath...a lift would be very very nice

professional install would be a lot...one place wanted to charge me $300 labor just install plugs and wires for a tune up.
                  1999 Camaro Z/28
                  1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

yes you can use jack stands. most of used stands

Comment

not true. Sounds like a good autoshop teacher, lol.
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                        not true. Sounds like a good autoshop teacher, lol.
                        he was probably speaking in broad generalities

Comment

what the heck is an AC box?
                          Is that ricer-talk?
                          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

an ac box is where the evaporator is and in a lot of cars, its in the engine bay on the firewall. ours isnt but you know....

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                              an ac box is where the evaporator is and in a lot of cars, its in the engine bay on the firewall. ours isnt but you know....
                              Evaporator? Isn't that what Uncle Ben wanted C3PO to fix in the first Star Wars movie?

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                              i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                              R.I.P. '07 Pats
                              Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X