Ram Air(Maybe?)For a 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air(Maybe?)For a 3.4

Well, I've had it for a few weeks now, but haven't had much time to make a thread. I wish I could get pictures, but its 11:30 at night right now, so yeah. Anyway, I got a 3 inch flexible tubing, connected it to the first elbow coming from the intake, and put a cone filter on the other end. I took out the stock air box, and realized that it wouldn't do much good just to put the filter right where the other one had been. So, I look around lower, and noticed that right underneath the frame part where the stock airbox was, its really open. I also noticed that the plastic plate directly under that could be cut out, so, I cut it. Now I had a nice, big open space where air could be sucked up directly into the filter as I was moving. Long story short, I mounted the filter so the end is kinda poking outta the opening, so, as far as I can tell, its a ram air.

I'm sure other people have done this; maybe this is the standard CAI on here? I dunno. Anyway, I've DEFINETELY noticed a very nice power increase. My car used to start pulling at about 3500 rpm... now it starts at about 2500 and pulls incredibly hard after 3500! Also, I'm getting better mileage. :cool:

However, I do have one question. There's a tube that was connected to the stock air intake system; I'm assuming its a breather as I have no idea what else it could be. For now I just have one of those little filters coming out of it...anyone know what it is? And what I should do with it? Thanks.

Re: Ram Air(Maybe?)For a 3.4

was probably for your pcv system. I would hook that back up
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by The_Beast

However, I do have one question. There's a tube that was connected to the stock air intake system; I'm assuming its a breather as I have no idea what else it could be. For now I just have one of those little filters coming out of it...anyone know what it is? And what I should do with it? Thanks.
      if you have a 5 speed, its the air intake for your AIR pump.
      Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf
        if you have a 5 speed, its the air intake for your AIR pump.
        Air pump as in smog pump? And yes, I have the 5 speed. What should I do with it? Is it ok just to put a small breather filter on it? I don't see what else I can do, it was just hooked up into the stock box, so I think the breather filter should do the same thing, right?

Comment

listen the little metal pipe that was at your in take was the fresh air for you pcv system its ok to have a filter there because all that is, is so that the vacuume at your pcv valve doenst cause all your tin part to cave in that was filtered air from after your filter so dirt didnt get to your internals so having a filter is fine your bases are covered and it even street legal (emmisions) so your fine and if it was a rubber hose a filter is a common way to get fresh filtered air to your air pump so again that filter is a good idea and all your bases are covered
          Last edited by 3.4pwrV6; 11-05-2006, 05:42 AM.

Comment

That tube is up in the elbow. The hose on the plastic intake pipe is for the AIR, just follow the hose down and you'll see the smog pump sitting down below. All it does is pump the air into your exhaust to help lower emissions readings. The hose on mine is disconnected and has no filter at all, been like that for years.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

So our engine is fighting the AIR pump for air? greaat...

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ
                That tube is up in the elbow. The hose on the plastic intake pipe is for the AIR, just follow the hose down and you'll see the smog pump sitting down below. All it does is pump the air into your exhaust to help lower emissions readings. The hose on mine is disconnected and has no filter at all, been like that for years.
                Any benefits from disconnecting this? Power? Mileage? I have also noticed the air pump and was wondering if it were necessary since there is no emission testing in my area.

Comment

please post some pics of your setup, we'd like to see...never hurts to have new ideas

Comment

Wow, I did not know that our cars had smog pumps. The only car I've really seen a smog pump on is my 1986 F150 lol. I thought smog pumps were really old. Then again, my car IS 12 years old...

Originally posted by LarryMow
                    please post some pics of your setup, we'd like to see...never hurts to have new ideas
                    Yeah I'm trying, sorry its taking so long. I have to work all day and when I get back its already dark, but tomorrow I got off, so I'll try to get some pics. It was really, really simple, so I'm sure others have done it too.

Comment

careful in the rain buddy, dont hit any sort of puddle
                      91 Mustang LX 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-daily driver, 210hp/300ft-lbs (outdated)<br />94 Ranger Splash 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-serious build up, shooting for 400+hp<br />95 Camaro 3.4 auto -hers<br />-she\'s workin on it

Comment

Originally posted by The_Beast
                        Wow, I did not know that our cars had smog pumps. The only car I've really seen a smog pump on is my 1986 F150 lol. I thought smog pumps were really old. Then again, my car IS 12 years old...

Yeah I'm trying, sorry its taking so long. I have to work all day and when I get back its already dark, but tomorrow I got off, so I'll try to get some pics. It was really, really simple, so I'm sure others have done it too.
                        so 94 3.4 i havent seen a3.4 with air pump but could be wrong

Comment

my 95 3.4 has an air pump... i think they only came on 5 speeds, but i'm not sure

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X