Custom Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Intake

A buddy and me built my own intake. I will have pics soon. We just used a 90 degree bend and a K&N filter and turned it toward the passenger side of the car. The sensor is placed underneath only because their was already a hole tapped their. I will post pictures soon. I have to say I was impressed with the difference after replacing my stock intake with just a drop-in K&N even though the new intake is in a place where the air gets pretty warm. Pics will be posted as soon as I get some.

Re: Custom Intake

nice job.. but its pointing in the wrong direction..

'95 3.8L A4 PGM. & '95 LT1 M6 PGM. :burn:

Comment

I'd like to see pics. Couldn't you add an extra piece of pvc piping to the 90 bend to get the filter down lower by colder air? Just a thought...Post up some pics.

Comment

"Couldn't you add an extra piece of pvc piping to the 90 bend to get the filter down lower by colder air?"

We didn't have the extra pieces at the time to do so. We tried another piece of pipe he had laying around but it would not fit properly.

"nice job.. but its pointing in the wrong direction.."

I know. I originaly had it pointing in the same direction as the OEM intake but because of the side the tubing was pretapped on it would cause the hood to hit the sensor that goes into the intak tube I was afraid of breaking the sensor. Besides by turning it towards the passenger side it is now away from the hot radiator hose. The filter just fits between the alternator and the radiator. I have a plastic heat shield that goes around the K&N Filter, but I have to get a larger clamp so I can clamp it onto the tube and around the filter.

Comment

Here are pics of the Intake we put together for just spare parts. In case you wanted to know, that is a K&N Filter on the pipe. I don't know where my friend got it from but it is the real thing.

Comment

have you really seen any improvement in performace cayse its pretty much in the same place or actually shorter. looks good though (profesional)

Comment

I was originally very skeptical about the difference a pipe and a good filter would make. I have used K&N drop ins before as well as cone filters placed on the end of the stock hose and I ususally only noticed a difference in throttle response. This time I have to say I really noticed a performance difference. Throttle response has greatly improved and the engine has a meaner sound to it. The car feels a little faster but without anything to compare it to I can't actually confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that it made a difference. I am very happy with it.

Comment

you need to get that thing away from the engine. You have a warm air intake right there. Get it to a fenderwell or something and you will see better gains
                http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I know it is sucking in warm air most of the time being where it is placed. I have plans for repositioning it in a place where it can get cooler air later, but I don't think it is sucking up that much hot air except when I am at a stop. The engine heats up a little quicker than before when I am at a standstill. I do believe that cool air is making it into the filter when I am in motion though only because it is about 30-60 degrees down here right now and the air blows up from underneath the car when I am in motion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X