3.4 headers question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 headers question

are they worth it? plain and simple...i want something to give my car any type of boost in power, i know it's not much.

does it make it sound like crap? is it ultimately worth the money and installation frustration?

thank you.
    travis
    1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

Re: 3.4 headers question

How much power were you looking to get out of them? or what is a good HP/$$$ ratio for you. If you have exhaust and Intake done, you will be looking at 9 hpish range. Without any other mods ~5 hp or so.

These are just estimates tho, but are probably fairly accurate.

Comment

if i spend the i think 250-350 it costs, haven't looked recently just kinda thinking outloud, i'd like to see around 5-10 rwhp atleast...it'd be a nice wake up since my car is slow a dog balls...lol

i don't have CAI, i'm trying to design a custom one that i can make...but i do have high flow cat and an flowmaster 80s series...

me and a couple friends started up a big car club around charlotte and they let me drive their cars sometimes and i hate getting back into my car lol oh well...soooooon enough... :)
      1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

Comment

well If you are really into working on cars, the same amount of money you spend on headers, you could get 20 or more hp out of a cam, or 1.9 R roller rockers.

Comment

really? what is the cost of something like that? if you could i'd like to know more about that, seeing as though i would like to replace the rods and rockers soon because i'm getting some wicked tick...

i tried to PM you but i guess it won't let me for some reason...

if you have time maybe you could email (tssmith2@uncc.edu) or IM me (whitebird031). i'd REALLY appreciate it.

Comment

udlose.. good info, but htis is a 3.4.. not a 3.8... if it were, youd be 100% correct...

to answer your question... yes, quite a few 3.4L guys have used them and msot have seen gains. Our stock manifolds are not htat great, so they def improve flow, provided you have figured out the rest of teh exhaust system.

also, they seem to mellow out the exhaust sound.. most guys love the sound and recommend headers if for nothign but that reason. Teh power increase seems to be a nice bonus.

1.9 rockers do not exist for the 3.4... nor would you be able to use them... there is not adequate available valvetrain clearances, nor do the springs handle that kinda lift increase. comp makes roller tipped 1.6's and full roller 1.6's taht work. the engine im building will use the roller tipped units. nice pieces.

a cam really helps these cars too, but with no tuning options, its hit or miss if you like the effects...

fyi, i would have already installed these headers myself if i werent going to atttempt making forward swept headers for my turbo project...
            Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

You have to be a "supporting member" to PM.

Anyways I am at work not, and I am parting out my car for the motor swap tonight.....so sometime inbetween there I will have time on aim, I will talk to ya about it.

Comment

I didnt realize there wasnt aftermarket Rockers for the 3.4.

Oh well a mild"ish" cam wouldnt require much tuning, and would outweigh the power of headers.

Comment

i don't think they're worth it. i didn't really feel a big increase in power for the troubles they have given me.
                  94 Firebird - Red A4<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird</a>

Comment

Originally posted by tbird31
                    are they worth it? plain and simple...i want something to give my car any type of boost in power, i know it's not much.

does it make it sound like crap? is it ultimately worth the money and installation frustration?

thank you.
                    travis

Just to back up what was said - headers will give you a little bit of a gain. It deepens the exhaust sound too (which I personally like). A cam will help too, but you can't get too aggressive w/o a tune. As far as cost, both are worth it (after a CAI). Each will give you a little extra. Also look into P&P heads and matched intakes. ftpp.net carries three cams for the 3.4 that work with the stock tune.

As far as sound, this is my car with cam, headers, catco, and borla: http://media.putfile.com/34-v6-with-...co-and-headers
                    Last edited by SpeedingFirebird; 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM. Reason: gremlins hijacked my keyboard

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

i really appreciate the information guys.

basically i'm looking for something to wake the car up.

UDLOSE thanks alot and i anticipate talking to you because i'd like to learn more about my engine and the mods that i'd be capable of before i get the money for the LS1 swap.

SPEEDINGFIREBIRD that sounds damn good...do you have a cam?

Comment

np. CAI, headers, and a cam will wake her up.

Thanks. I'll post better video clips soon. It is cammed: COMP-16.233.4

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

UDLOSE thanks alot and i anticipate talking to you because i'd like to learn more about my engine and the mods that i'd be capable of before i get the money for the LS1 swap.

Dude, I just recently considered an Ls1 swap myself, you have no idea how much work is involved. You aer MUCH! better off buying a Z or T/A.

I am working on swaping a GTP motor right now.

Comment

it won't be too bad:

-motor: used ls1 with <80k on the clock(mods before putting it in the car)
                            -tranny: used M6 and one piece driveshaft
                            -rear-end: already in the work my buddy just put a 9" in his WS.6
                            -brakes: C5 brake conversion, already in works
                            -fuel pump: performance
                            -suspension: already got it
                            -tune: best friend tunes LSx cars, he's big on LS1tech and other forums (his H/C WS.6 makes 470/440...INSANE)

hopefully i can get it done for around $4k...who knows...that's what the plans are as of now...

any suggestions?
                            Last edited by tbird31; 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM.

Comment

K member, PCM, and i hope you can wire. the wiring is alot different IIRC. you'd be better off dropping a lt1 in there. the swap is alot easier and with the right mods puts out just as much power as a ls1 at half the cost.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                              Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X