This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram air

ok so my auto shop teacher who hate gm says that the trans am with the ram air does nothing at all to the car. He said tey just put that hood on and slapped ram air on the side to get more money out of u is this true and does anyone have a vid or a trams am racing a a trams am with the ram air thnks

Re: ram air

hahahahahaha
    sounds like something almost ANY car brand WOULD do, to get more money

This is NOT the case
    I have a SS hood from Tbyrne motorsports and I can assure you it is fully functional!!!
    The SS is rated to have ~25 more hp with the ram air hood.
    The newer SSes are underrated anyways

Please slap your shop teacher for me
    What Brand does he like then? Ford?
    It is un-American to not like GM! He sounds like a traitor and should be put in front of a firing squad
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

It is pretty easy to claim more horsies from your ram air package when you are already saying the car has less hp than it really does. Something to think about.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

he also might be implying that when he looks into the parking lot of your school.. every modder thinks getting a hood scoop, an intake and exhaust that their car is going to be alot faster... when they usually are not doing much at all...

so when you might of said "my ram air hood gives me XXX amout of HP"... really JUST an intake doesnt make that much of a diffrence anyway..

it is like when you eat...(as my teacher says)
        you can shove a bunch of nice food in your mouth... but as long as you have a stock low quality exhaust.. it will still come out as the same sh*t

Comment

ram air= more or less a cold air intake.

blldogg speaks the truth. honestly the most youre going to get out of it is a little better throttle response and a minimal hp gain that wont really be noticed.

slow- wanna explain your thinking here? a ss/ws6 will dyno almost,if not the same as a trans am/formy/z28 and run at the most .2 of a second better in the 1/4 and even that has no real backing since no 2 cars are the same.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

It does help keep intake air temperetures down a lot compared to non ram air T/A's.
            <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

it's not ram air in the true meaning of the term. At normal driving speeds, you can't force air into the engine with a ram air scoop. At best, the hood directs cooler air into the intake, which can give a little more power. The hood is mainly for looks.
              \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317
                it's not ram air in the true meaning of the term. At normal driving speeds, you can't force air into the engine with a ram air scoop. At best, the hood directs cooler air into the intake, which can give a little more power. The hood is mainly for looks.
                It begins to be finctional at 80 mph. Thats then the pressure rises above the natural atmospheric pressure. You need an accearometer to test ram air, they may not be acurate to the exact hp but they are consistant enough to test mods such as ram air.
                Last edited by Ace; 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317

quoted for the absolute truth.

this is a topic that many newbies and kids want to argue over to justify the money they just WASTED on a ram air setup.

Ace. tell me something....since u believe that "ram" is is functional. please explain how the "ram" air gets PAST YOUR AIR FILTER! PAST YOUR THROTTLE PLATE!!!

the only true "ram" air is a turbo or supercharger plain and simple. they actually force air in.

the ram air gimic is nothing but a "cold air intake".
                  cooler air at the area of the filter will allow a better running car. hp #'s are bs.

your cars engine will "suck" more air in by vacuum than it is physically possible by trying to go faster to get a ram air effect.

marketing gimics, making $$ of unknowning people, badge it and sell it for more.

i really just hate seeing kids or inexperienced people waste good hard earned $$ on garbage :spank:

Comment

Originally posted by homedog119
                    Well if you dyno a car with a scoop it will show the same results as one with out cause the car wont actually be moving you need to get some air up in the scoop

reread post #9

Comment

a dyno is not real life
                      I will admit that it wont give much gain on a v6.
                      Unless you take into account how restrictive the stock bellows air intake setup is.
                      But the whisper lid mod is a different mod... it just goes hand in hand with the hood
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by usd2sing
                        quoted for the absolute truth.

this is a topic that many newbies and kids want to argue over to justify the money they just WASTED on a ram air setup.

Ace. tell me something....since u believe that "ram" is is functional. please explain how the "ram" air gets PAST YOUR AIR FILTER! PAST YOUR THROTTLE PLATE!!!

the only true "ram" air is a turbo or supercharger plain and simple. they actually force air in.

the ram air gimic is nothing but a "cold air intake".
                        cooler air at the area of the filter will allow a better running car. hp #'s are bs.

your cars engine will "suck" more air in by vacuum than it is physically possible by trying to go faster to get a ram air effect.

marketing gimics, making $$ of unknowning people, badge it and sell it for more.

i really just hate seeing kids or inexperienced people waste good hard earned $$ on garbage :spank:
                        :tup: pretty much what i said :) its nothing more than a fancy overpriced cold air intake. id rather spend money on a non functional hood and either buy a cold air intake(for half the price at least of the ram air box) or make a homemade CAI. the only way id wind up with a functional ram air hood is if i recieved one as a gift.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                        Or this

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                          a dyno is not real life
                          I will admit that it wont give much gain on a v6.
                          Unless you take into account how restrictive the stock bellows air intake setup is.
                          But the whisper lid mod is a different mod... it just goes hand in hand with the hood
                          all it is is a different type of CAI, whisper lid or not. Cars cannot hit the speeds needed for ram air to work.
                          \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Well we will never know untill someone with a real ram air setup (not that sheet metal ducting crap slp makes)on this forum tests it with an accelerometer. And at 100 mpr air Is pushed in harder than your engine sucks in at lower rpms that for sure its just a matter of if its a good setup or crap. For ram air to have a chance of working it pretty much has to be a stright shot to the TB. Do the SLP ram air setups work, hell no. Do the Trans Am ram air setup work, maybe. Do the old school tunnel ram setups with the big *** scoops work, hell yes.

Comment

meh..understanding vacuum, cyl volumes, intake velocities will def change your view on "ram" air.

tc or sc is the only true ram air. everything else is cold air intake. exposing the air filter/intake system to cooler air. (which is a good thing.)
                              :naughty:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X