Flowmaster Cat Back install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowmaster Cat Back install

Are there any how too instructions on installing a flowmaster cat back system? Is there anything I should know or any special tools I should have before starting this tomorrow?
    I tired a search but nothing came up. Thanks

Re: Flowmaster Cat Back install

Its pretty straight forward. I unbolted the clamp on the rear of the s-pipe, then used a sawzall to cut the exhaust pipes in sections, and removed the old exhaust. Install is mostly easy. Just lighlty tighten the clamps so you can make a finall adjustment and tighten everything up. You'll need a socket set for that. The muffler is kinda hard to get lined up so the tail pipes are perfect. I recommend having a muffler shop weld up the 3 connections at the muffler at least. I had mine put in a couple of tack welds at the other joints just for safety. But for sure get the muffler connections welded.

Comment

Is there a problem with the muffler falling off? Doesn't the muffler have clamps holding it together? Thanks for your info ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrriverajr
        Is there a problem with the muffler falling off? Doesn't the muffler have clamps holding it together? Thanks for your info ...
        The metal is very thick on the muffler flanges. It's very difficult to clamp them down tight enough. The clamps provided are not the best either. I had my socket wrench and a breaker bar, and the pipes still would move. My muffler actually fell off a day later before I got it to a muffler shop. Good thing I was only doing 20mph. I'd get it all welded if I were you. Do the hard work yourself of taking the old one off and putting the Flowmaster system on, and then take it to be welded. Any shop should do it for about $50 or so.

Comment

Thanks for your info, I will be doing it probably tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
          If anyone else has any info please share it, I am sure alot of us on this site will be doing this on day or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrriverajr
            Thanks for your info, I will be doing it probably tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
            If anyone else has any info please share it, I am sure alot of us on this site will be doing this on day or another.
            Most if not all of this could be found in "search". Its been done many times. Still, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Well, guess I will put my .02 worth in.

I installed my FlowMaster 8 years ago. Instead of using the clamps that came with the kit, I used stainless steel band clamps. These clamps are wide & thin and cover the whole joint. You tighten them down until you can see the impression of the joint showing in the clamp. These clamps do not leak.
              Also, if you use this band clamp, you can replace the tail pipes, or the muffler if they are damaged. The band clamps do not deform the joined pieces like a regular muffler clamp. For example if you damage a tail pipe by backing into a parking place and hitting a curb, or if you have to remove the exhaust system to replace a fuel pump later, the band clamps make for easy removal of all pieces. If you weld them, you may have to take it to a shop and have them cut off and instead of replacing a damaged pipe, you have to replace the pipe and muffler. Just a thought.

If used right, these band clamps will not leak or let stuff fall off. They do cost about $8.00 each. About
              Dr Todd

Comment

I'd say definitally get it welded after you put it together. But i never had a problem with mine falling off, mine was clamped for over a year before i got it welded.
                2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Todd
                  Well, guess I will put my .02 worth in.

I installed my FlowMaster 8 years ago. Instead of using the clamps that came with the kit, I used stainless steel band clamps. These clamps are wide & thin and cover the whole joint. You tighten them down until you can see the impression of the joint showing in the clamp. These clamps do not leak.
                  Also, if you use this band clamp, you can replace the tail pipes, or the muffler if they are damaged. The band clamps do not deform the joined pieces like a regular muffler clamp. For example if you damage a tail pipe by backing into a parking place and hitting a curb, or if you have to remove the exhaust system to replace a fuel pump later, the band clamps make for easy removal of all pieces. If you weld them, you may have to take it to a shop and have them cut off and instead of replacing a damaged pipe, you have to replace the pipe and muffler. Just a thought.

If used right, these band clamps will not leak or let stuff fall off. They do cost about $8.00 each. About
                  Where do I get these band clamps?Just in case.

Comment

i just installed my flowmaster cat-back about a couple months ago....and i would definately invest in some better clamps... The clamps that flowmaster give you are quite simply stated as garbage... my exhaust dropped about 3 weeks after the install and it wasnt because i undertightened the clamps...i had to take a hack saw to get em off. Just take ur time with the install. Also you might want to invest in some extra stapping because when you make turns the passenger pipe makes contact with the spare tire well and it movies quite a bit

i have a link ill send you later about the install.. the hardest part is gettin the pipe over the rear axle
                    thanks my 2 cents
                    Last edited by bbplayer133; 10-05-2006, 09:46 AM.

Comment

arg...Flowmaster
                      01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
                      AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
                      www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
                      www.vaperz.com
                      PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Originally posted by bbplayer133
                        i just installed my flowmaster cat-back about a couple months ago....and i would definately invest in some better clamps... The clamps that flowmaster give you are quite simply stated as garbage... my exhaust dropped about 3 weeks after the install and it wasnt because i undertightened the clamps...i had to take a hack saw to get em off. Just take ur time with the install. Also you might want to invest in some extra stapping because when you make turns the passenger pipe makes contact with the spare tire well and it movies quite a bit

i have a link ill send you later about the install.. the hardest part is gettin the pipe over the rear axle
                        thanks my 2 cents
                        What is stapping? Where could I get it? I just finished the install and what a B*&^&* it was to get the pipe over the rear axle. The clamps that they give with the kit are pure garbage!!!!! I will probably take the car to an exhaust place to have it all welded together and remove those piece of garbage clamps. Thanks for all the info... Send me the link I want to see if there is anything I missed.
                        P.s. The car sounds pretty good for a V6 but it is smoking like crazy, I guess that is the top coat of stainless steel burning off....

Comment

I got my stainless band clamps from an auto store called NAPA

DrTodd
                          Dr Todd

Comment

its going to smell for like a month because they put a thin layer of grease on it to protect it for long time storage...it will just burn off so dont worry about it.

for the strapping...go to like pep boys, auto zone or murrays...etc they will have stuff to bolt on the frame and then u can wrap it around the exhaust pipe... ir go to the hardware store they have stuff that will get the job done.

Comment

Oh ok I will go pick one or 2 of them up thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X