Quick exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick exhaust question

So i'm gonna be going to my exhaust shop tomorrow afternoon to get all 3 inch piping. I've read around and found out that a resonator or a bullet muffler will reduce the rasp some. I also read something about putting a glasspack on the I pipe.
    Will that help with the rasp any?

Re: Quick exhaust question

3 inch is a little to big for our cars dont you think? even for a Z, i think the max i would go on mine is 2.5 and i think bigger= more rasp..

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy16
      3 inch is a little to big for our cars dont you think? even for a Z, i think the max i would go on mine is 2.5 and i think bigger= more rasp..

i disagree, and so do most people. this debate will never end. i personally dont consider going from 2.25 to 2.5 a worth while upgrade when theres so many good 3" cat-backs.

as for your question, go with a bullet, a glasspack wont do as much. you can get 3" dynomax bullets real cheap from summit or jegs.
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Actually 3" will kill your low end torque. I run an open exhaust 3" catback with the blower. If anything, you'll gain top end, but that's really pushing the gas pedal to medal and it helps if you have mods done to the car (or are planning some). Basically the power band is moved up... wayyyyyy up.
        2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
        1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
        2011 Cadillac CTS-V
        2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
        2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i have the rumbler ( 3" ) and a 3" highflow cat, but i swapped out the dynomax bullet for a sweet-thunder ( 2.5" inner core ) and couldnt be happyer, i honestly couldnt feel a loss in low end tq, but definatly noticed some diffence up top.
          1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

well i'm not planning on adding a turbo or anything later on. so what size pipe should i get? would i notice 2.5? i'm more worried about sound. that rasp when i rev it in neutral is getting on my last nerve! thats my whole reason for doing this exhaust work. I know i probably wont completely get rid of it but i'm going to try to tame it ALOT!!!

oh yeah. does anybody know what actually causes the rasp?

Comment

Originally posted by tylersilva12
              oh yeah. does anybody know what actually causes the rasp?
              you have two less cylinder's than you need.

what exhuast is on the car now? your never going to completely get rid of the rasp, but you can definatly tame it down alot. flowmaster and gutted cat on the 3.4's sound decent. magnaflow doesnt sound bad either, never heard elderbrok or hooker in person.

edit: honestly i think 2.75 is the perfect size for us, the stock ls1 "I" is 2.75 btw, just something to think about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X