Loose tail pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose tail pipe

Was driving the other day and all of a sudden my exhaust got REALLY loud. I knew one of the pipes had been rattling loose off of the muffler (Flowmaster), so when I stopped and looked, it had come all the way off. First question is, would it hurt to just leave it off? I really like the sound, still deep but alot louder and throaty. Next question is, since it kinda looks ghetto to leave just one pipe on, how should I go about fixing it? Is that a welding job? I mean, it's came directly off the muffler, doesnt look like it's cracked or anything. Lemme know your thoughts. Thanks guys.
    \'99 3.8 Firebird<br />Red, T-Tops, Chrome Dante 17\'s, Cold Air Intake, Free Ram Air, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Duels, Performance Plugs/Wires, CATless, Smoothed out Lid<br /><br />Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint...<i>Firebird Power!!</i>

Re: Loose tail pipe

sorry, to clarify, by pipes I mean tail pipes
    \'99 3.8 Firebird<br />Red, T-Tops, Chrome Dante 17\'s, Cold Air Intake, Free Ram Air, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Duels, Performance Plugs/Wires, CATless, Smoothed out Lid<br /><br />Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint...<i>Firebird Power!!</i>

Comment

thats ghetto if it just fell off and its a catback right?

Comment

yea, it's a catback. Not a clue why it would just fall off like that, not having ever bottomed it out or anything

Comment

I was really surprised how much louder it was with just the tailpipes off though, since it's still going through the muffler and all

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

just get another pipe welded back on

Comment

To leave the exhaust the way it is (tail pipe gone) will make it louder because the sound is now exiting right under the car and not where it should be...out the back. I seriously doubt that the tailpipe made the exhaust tone quieter.
                Not only that, but now you're getting Carbon Monoxide fumes right under the car now, and you may get reeeeal sleepy at long red lights.

My suggestion; Get it fixed before you become a statistic. A muffler shop could probably weld that tailpipe back on for approximately $25-$40.
                sigpic

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Mine kinda dangled around for a couple days before it completely fell off. I went down to the muffler shop and paid the guy 50 bucks to weld in a new pipe and change the tips.

Comment

the exhaust guy sucks if your tailpipe just fell off, the guy who did mine clamed them AND welded them all the way around every single little opening

Comment

I have the Flowmaster cat-back, and it really seems like its hard to get the clamps tight enough around the muffler. My muffler fell off at real low speed. I had my muffler shop weld the 3 pipes on the muffler completely (inlet and 2 outlet pipes) and tack weld the i-pipe and over axle pipe as a safety precaution.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X