CAI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAI question

Alright, since it is my last year here in Alaska with the camaros :banana: had a question for anyone who drives their cars in colder climates.

Do you think it is smart to pull off the CAI and put the stock intake boxes back on for the winter? Here with it getting to an easy -30 I really dont need to cold air. So what do you do? Thanks

Re: CAI question

Originally posted by ZO6vette037
    Alright, since it is my last year here in Alaska with the camaros :banana: had a question for anyone who drives their cars in colder climates.

Do you think it is smart to pull off the CAI and put the stock intake boxes back on for the winter? Here with it getting to an easy -30 I really dont need to cold air. So what do you do? Thanks
    Why pull it off?!? The air in the engine bay is warmer than it is outside, so you're still getting cooler air. And, most CAI's are less restrictive than the stock intake, so you get more air. I don't think the fact that it's -30 will hurt anything, just give you a big advantage at the track :banana:
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the optimal intake temperature for the 3800 series II is around 42 F. I'm not saying -30 will hurt it, but i don't know how much of an "advantage" it is..
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

First, being from Wasilla, I would park it for the winter & drive the Truck, lol.
        You are good to go on the stock filter. K&N filters can freeze with your cold weather because they they use an oil fill. Kinda like turning off a deisel truck , stuff gets thick. just make sure you have a block heater or oil heater pluged in at night.
        Please do not just go out & try to dry start it on a cold morning (or day or night) in Fairbanks.
        Rick B.
        Left turn Clide.

Comment

Winter driving F-bodies... now here's a question for me!!

I've driven my 99 FB quite often in temperatures colder than -30 degrees C and there is not operational impact what-so-ever, except that the car has noticably more power. (I don nee no stinkin 160* themo mod ..senior....)

The air drawn into the TB is as cold as the ambient air and I've never experienced TB icing or freeze-ups, or hesitations, surges, or any other driveability problems.

Also my K & N filter has not affected the car at these low temps either. I'm guessing that yes the oil is thicker, but there isn't enough oil saturating the gause material to restrict airflow. Maybe if you over oiled the filter it would become a problem.

My advice to you is, leave the CAI on.
          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            4 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X