Stupid O2 Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid O2 Sensors

OK, I have a 97 3.8 Camaro. I was sooo excited cuz I replaced my O2 sensor and MAF, hoping my SES would finally go off. Anyways, I get the code that my Bank 1 Sensor 2 is getting low voltage. So, I replaced the sensor, but the codes' still being thrown. I looked it up, and bank 1 is the driver's side, and sensor 2 is after cat. But, I don't have anything on the driver's side. My headers come together on the passenger's side, then I have my cat. So, I don't have a Bank 1 Sensor 2 in my car then. Should I? I didn't put my exhaust on, it came with the car, so it may be custom from headers to the muffler, or it may be stock, I don't know. What I thought was that the cat may be gutted. All I know is I want my stupid SES light to turn off! Someone please help me. Should I have 2 cats in my car? Is my cat just failing? How hard is it to replace? Could there be any other reason for this? How would I check if my cat is gutted?

Thanks in advanced you guys.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Stupid O2 Sensors

bank 1 sensor 2 is the pre cat sensor for the 97 chevrolet camaro. bank 1 sensor 3 is after the cat. What codes are you getting? and your ses light will not just turn right off after fixing the problem. it takes a process which may take some time depending on things.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
      bank 1 sensor 2 is the pre cat sensor for the 97 chevrolet camaro. bank 1 sensor 3 is after the cat. What codes are you getting? and your ses light will not just turn right off after fixing the problem. it takes a process which may take some time depending on things.
      O, OK. I know it won't just turn off, I had the code cleared. If the sensor's fine, it should throw the code, right? And I don't know what code it is, cuz my uncle scanned it and it automatically decodes it. It's Bank 1 Sensor 2 getting low voltage.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

if the sensor is not fine, it will throw that code. If it is fine, it will throw no codes whats so ever.

Comment

if the sensor is not fine, it will throw that code. If it is fine, it will throw no codes whats so ever.
          Ya, sorry. That should was supposed to be shouldn't. Now to go and buy another O2 sensor. Another $70, yay! Or are the two interchangable?
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

not sure. You could find out by comparing part numbers

Comment

not sure. You could find out by comparing part numbers
              Well I was just told that we alreayd threw out the other sensor, so I've got to buy another no matter what. Dang, would it be bad if I drove around for abit w.out replacing it? I'm really tight on Cash right now....
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

OK. I replaced it with one from Advanced Auto Parts. Now I've got a code saying the cat in bank 1 isn't functioning properly or soemthing like that. Bank 1 doesn't have a cat though?!? They only had 2 types of O2's at Advanced, and the other ones have a different end to go before the cat. So, the sensor I got from Advance fits, but now the computer is saying there should be a Cat where there shouldn't be. Is there a special O2 for this spot that I don't know about? My uncle's supposed to be calling GM tomorrow to ask, but I figured I'd go ahead and ask on here. Hopefully they'll let me return the other O2 since it's the wrong one.
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Comment

i ahve a question about your cat. before you replaced your cat was it making a rattling noise? my SES is on and my car is saying the same thing about my cat is need of replace.

Comment

I haven't replaced it. My car's saying bank 1 cat is bad, and I don't have a bank 1 cat....so....
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Comment

well do you hear your car making rattling noise from underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by nilly787
                        No. My only cat under the car is in bank 2, and it makes no noise. I don't see what you're trying to get at here man. There's no problem with my cat, it' the O2 sensor. I'm asking if there's a special one to go in Bank 1 Sensor 2 in my 97 3.8 Camaro. This sensor is before the cat, but has the same plug as the after cats. With it in there, the computer thinks there's a cat between Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 that has gone bad, when there's not even supposed to be a cat in there in the first place.
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Comment

Originally posted by nilly787
                          Thats probably your heat shield that came loose.

Originally posted by RadRacer
                          This sensor is before the cat, but has the same plug as the after cats. With it in there, the computer thinks there's a cat between Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 that has gone bad, when there's not even supposed to be a cat in there in the first place.
                          You only have one cat and even though it is saying bank 1 and your cat is on the passenger side, it is telling you correct. Just the way its designed. May not be disigned to the obvious way but its working off the design.

I just had this problem but I was bank 1 sensor 3. I'm just going to get a sim because I'm about to go 3inch piping all the way back. The guy at autozone (take that for what its worth) said that pre cat and post cat o2 sensors were the same. I kow you threw old one away but just letting you know.
                          Originally posted by kala
                          I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                          parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
                            You only have one cat and even though it is saying bank 1 and your cat is on the passenger side, it is telling you correct. Just the way its designed. May not be disigned to the obvious way but its working off the design.

I just had this problem but I was bank 1 sensor 3. I'm just going to get a sim because I'm about to go 3inch piping all the way back. The guy at autozone (take that for what its worth) said that pre cat and post cat o2 sensors were the same. I kow you threw old one away but just letting you know.
                            I realize the O2 sensors are the same, but the plugs are different. Take a look at yours if you can, the ones that go before the cat have a flat plug, while the after cats are square. And my cat isn't going bad. If my cat was bad, I'd be able to tell. I'm saying I replaced my O2 with an after-cat O2, but the sensor position is befor the cat. So, it think it's after the cat, which it isn't, and is throwing the code. What year is your car? Sensor 3 is the sensor after the cat, so it would be right. Sensor 2, like I said, is befor the cat, so how can it tell the cat's bad?!? I know it doesn't affect my performance, but I just want my stupid SES light to turn off. And I'd prefer to not get sim's.
                            Last edited by RadRacer; 09-20-2006, 03:39 PM.
                            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                            A few things

Comment

You were probly getting a low efficantcy (spell) code . means that the cat is going bad . whats the mileage on the car ?they can go bad without clogging .
                              see if that helps .
                              plus see if you can have somebody with a scan tool look at the o2 sensor signals . see if everything is functioning properly fist before just dumping money into it .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X