Intake Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Question....

I have a 98 3.8 Camaro with the angled throttle body. Due to clearance restrictions, making a home built intake has become a PITA. Can I mount a cone filter directly to the throttle body? I have a plan for the sensor that mounts to the rubber boot on the stock intake and filterbox. My plan is to, if this will work, mount the filter directly on to the throttle body, run some ducting from the front of the filter to the void behind the left front headlight and install the sensor just infront of the filter.

Will this work or am I wasting my time?

Re: Intake Question....

I think the point of the cold air intake is go get...cold air. So mounting a cone filter directly on the TB might be somewhat of an improvement over stock, but wouldn't you think a cone filter would be cheaper than the silencer box and air box?

What i think is you won't get anything out of that because you're not going to get cold air from it. The reason for the piping is to get it near the openings where cold air can come in, that's why it's over at the fender.

so i would say it's probably not the best idea..
    Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I am trying to come up with a way to do make this work. The damn angled TB is killing me.

Comment

I have a 96 3.8L and i am planning on doing a homemade intake also, although i haven't actually tried anything yet.

I'm not sure maybe homemade isn't really an option for us..:(

Tell me if you figure anything out.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well with the 96 the TB's are not angled right? Im going to hook a CAI using my brothers spare piping, rubber connectors, and filter. If I cant reach the fender, then Ill just buy a longer pipe.

Comment

I think I just figured out a way. Completely remove the OE Filterbox and ducting. From the TB, a rubber coupler connects to ducting (I bought the red 3" ducting from autozone) and then just route it to either the left or right side of the front part of the engine bay. There are several places to mount a filter bracket behind the headlights, then just cut a hole for the ducting to fit through. I will post pics and parts used when I have this completed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996F-bird
              Well with the 96 the TB's are not angled right? Im going to hook a CAI using my brothers spare piping, rubber connectors, and filter. If I cant reach the fender, then Ill just buy a longer pipe.
              yes it is angled but hey, thats something you could have figured out by popping the hood:eek:
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Guess I could have, but wuts the fun in that? Jp. O well, Im hoping em and my brother wll be able to do something

Comment

I have confidence that you guys can be self reliant and figure this out. all those damn Honda drivers can, why couldn't you?
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                    I have confidence that you guys can be self reliant and figure this out. all those damn Honda drivers can, why couldn't you?
                    Off Topic- In a bad mood tonight BLLDOG? I sent you an e-mail about a week back, haven't gotten any reply from you yet.....

On Topic- What's the angle of the TB? Isn't it somewhere around 30*? Maybe a 45* rubber elbow will have enough flex in it to let you get a full 90*
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

ABORT ABORT ABORT.....My idea sucked. I spent all night trying to figure out how to make it work. I did however come up with this...(picture quality is horrible for some reason)

This is not the hose I am going to continue using...I am trying to find somewhere that sells 3" rubber tubing or somewhere that can fabricate a pre-shaped hose.

This will work for now.

Also, I gutted my factory airbox lid and sanded it smooth. Will be doing the ram air mod soon.
                      Attached Files

Comment

those pictures are incredibly confusing.

do you have any pics of it like, the whole engine bay?
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well im not tryn to build Ram-Air, iits thats what you built. Im just building a standard CAI towards my fender, but when I loooked around my engine bay, it didnt seem like there would be enough room, but once everything is removed, Ill get a better idea

Comment

i have a 96 3.8 and i would say save up and get the slp cia works great and you can fell the diff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X