Removing catalytic converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing catalytic converter?

I know that on the most recent cars (I have an '02) the sensor on the exhaust that helps with engine management is before the cat. That said, would it be ok for me to remove my cat and just run a straight pipe back to the muffler? I know I'll have to buy an 02 sim for the code that it will inevitably throw, but the engine should run normally, correct? My cat just went bad, I really need a car, and I can't afford to buy a new cat right now. I don't want to run it with the bad cat because I'm afraid chunks of it will go into my muffler and trash it.
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Re: Removing catalytic converter?

you will be fine friend
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

It runs great now, hehe. Sounds good until upper rpm, then it kind of rasps. It doesn't lope like it did either: before the engine would shake back and forth, now it's smooth as a top. This thing will be a highway beast now.

The guy at the shop thought it might be a fuel problem that was making my cats go bad (had another one go bad at 20k, now it has almost 68k.) Any thoughts about this? Do I just need to clean my injectors more often?
      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

too much fuel CAN kill cats yea, thats pretty weird you already went through 2 now. injector cleaner might help, im not really sure.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I am thinking about removing my cat I was wondering if I remove it will I need my cat shield or can I remove that also. Will a muffler shop do that for me and just put some type of pipe there to fit it or what. I will also be adding headers a whisper lid and a electric cutout to go along with that so who knows how its gonna sound and I already have a 80 series flowmaster muffler on it and it sounds good from idle

Comment

no shop will remove your cat, its illegal
            yes, you can remove the cat shield
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

My shop will trust me but I am confused about the 02 sim where does it go and is it hard to install. After removing the cat what kind of piping should I put to replace it will a 3 inch piece of pipe be good. What kind of gains can I expect from doing this and can someone help me out on what gutting an exhaust is I never heard of it

Comment

if your shop is removing your cat, just tell them to put that 02 sim in place of the 02 sensor AFTER the cat. That is the one that tells the computer that the cat is running right. This will give you top end gains, maybe a couple of horsepower, i wouldn't claim any more than that. If I was redoing my exhaust I'd go 3" but it depends on what you want out of it. Smaller piping can create more backpressure and helps torque.

Gutting an exhaust I believe is referring to removing all the contents from the catalytic converter, which is basically the same thing as running straight pipe, only it looks legal.
                Last edited by Camarorulz; 08-31-2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

get 2.5 i have the and it fits exactly like the stock but 35 pounds lighter rasp up top but better all around... i actually just put my race ready electric exhaust cutout where my no cat was.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                      no shop will remove your cat, its illegal
                      yes, you can remove the cat shield
                      mine removed my cat no questions asked..

Comment

same here

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy16
                          mine removed my cat no questions asked..
                          was it broken? clogged? etc?
                          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

it kept rattling and my speed shop said o we can take it off and put a straight pipe in for $100 installed and i was like whatever go ahead

Comment

Originally posted by factoryfreak v6 firebird
                              it kept rattling and my speed shop said o we can take it off and put a straight pipe in for $100 installed and i was like whatever go ahead
                              can you say ripped off! i got mine for 31 somethin and i also got all new valve stems on my tires and got them rebalanced oh and did i forget to mention i also got a cut out installed...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X