1997 V6 3.8 camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 V6 3.8 camaro

Hey guys i just got this new vehicle, and thus far i have put on a magnaflow exhaust and im looking for another CHEAP way to add horse power, and i figured if anyone knew it would be you guys. I have heard Cold air intake helps, but some are telling me its overpriced for something you really can't feel? I also heard about TBI chips? However those would not fit my car someone said. If anyone has anything helpful for me please let me know. I just want to add sum horsepower without spending tons of money. Thanks guys.

Re: 1997 V6 3.8 camaro

read the stickies for this forum and all the others before you do anything else. then start reading post from present back.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Hey bull i was looking at the stickys..the web sites and distributors...its pretty much what i thought correct? The only thing i can realistically do is put in the cold air intake without spending a ton of money?

Comment

without spending much money, you can make your own. search for things like home made and such.

Comment

You know what? the cheapest way to add horsepower is either Nitrous or Turbo.
          Cold air intake or exhaust isn't going do anything. All that $100-$500 you spend will add up to what? 8horsepower increase? Save your money and get a Nitrous kit or Turbo.
          1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

hey man.a nitrous kit or turbo is around $2-3 grand correct? Unless im mixing that up with a supercharger..but im pretty sure im not

Comment

both turbo kits and supercharger kits are hella expensive... 2 grand is cheap for either one... still not being very cheap. but they do put down some impressive numbers. its a shame that the open differential wont allow great traction trying to launch. my car launches for **** and it just has cat back exhaust and an aluminum driveshaft.

the one piece aluminum driveshaft is awesome by the way!

Comment

hey what part of chicago u at ? yea u can make ur own intake instead of buying it i did mine i fot the same year car like urs

Comment

i think one of the cheapest things you can do after intake and exhaust is a low temp thermostat. itll keep ur car running cooler and we all know that cooler cars make more horse :)

even if u only get 1-2 horsepower the damn thing is only $20 shipped and takes 5 mins to put in...
                  try www.thunderracing.com
                  i just bought one for my 97RS

Comment

Just go to auto zone and get one for 12 dollars. I bought one last night and paid that. I got the hypertech 160. Do you think that is too much and should I go with a 180 or is a 160 good. But yeah $12.

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
                      i think one of the cheapest things you can do after intake and exhaust is a low temp thermostat. itll keep ur car running cooler and we all know that cooler cars make more horse :)

even if u only get 1-2 horsepower the damn thing is only $20 shipped and takes 5 mins to put in...
                      try www.thunderracing.com
                      i just bought one for my 97RS
                      Thermostat doesn't in itself keep the engine cooler, it just hinders the warm up process and keep it from being at operating temp longer. believe it or not, the engine runs best at the temp it was designed to be at and by putting in a different thermo, you are altering that.

Comment

nitrous youre looking at ~300-400 for a used kit. by the time you have safety switches, its a bit over 500. then random adapters run it up to like 600 or so. so to have a FULL, safe nitrous kit, you are looking at 700-800. it can be done for less, but this is being safe.

intake, exhaust, thermo, cat, etc. are the cheaper things. as soon as you get into headers, you are looking at 300-400+install. modding isnt cheap, unless you are EXTREMELY resourceful.
                        2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                        2006 S60- Sold
                        2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                          Thermostat doesn't in itself keep the engine cooler, it just hinders the warm up process and keep it from being at operating temp longer. believe it or not, the engine runs best at the temp it was designed to be at and by putting in a different thermo, you are altering that.

for the second time in 2 posts. i beg to differ, but only a lil.
                          i didnt say the thermo will make the car will run cooler...i said the thermo will keep it running cooler, and idk what ur talking about when it comes to temps. but there is a post on here about a guy running his 3.8 ona dyno at 160, then ato 210 and he loses 8 RWHP between the 2 runs...idk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X