short of cash..how is just a muffler? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

short of cash..how is just a muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short of cash..how is just a muffler?

MY goal by the end of the summer was to install a catback 3" with a borla pro xs muffler. and well, i got as far as the muffler itself, and ran short of cash.

Would I be seeing any gains if i kept the stock piping and just installed the new muffler? at worst, i would still get a better sound right? Could i benifit from gutting the cat on the stock piping also?

If i did it myself, i would need a 2.25 to 2.5 adapter and some kind of pipes from the muffler to the bumper ..where could i find these?

I will complete the catback system just as soon as i get the money together, but it may be a while..
    Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 08-18-2006, 10:56 PM.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Borla muffler, no catback..

I only purchased a flowmaster 80 series and left stock piping from the muffler back to the headders and put on tips. The sound is amazing. The power is noticable, and everyone thinks its a v8. All the other catback systems sound terrible to me. I was so worried mine was gonna have rasp and sound like ****. I was so happy when i picked my car up and it was deep and mellow with such minimal rasp its ridiculous. Mine was 2 and 1 half inch pipe out from the muffler to the tips. Oh yea and i left the Kitty cat on.

Comment

Re: Borla muffler, no catback..

i did the same thing...just an 80series muffler and it sounded great.
      but then i decided i hate emmisions and decided to take out the cat and just put 2.5inch pipe in its place...sounds a lil better, u noticed the differecne around 3500 rpms when the engine really needs to breath

now if only my inspection sticker didnt expire in june and now its august :X

Comment

Re: short of cash..how is just a muffler?

I have a 3" in 3" out catco cat with 3" in two 3" out to a flowmaster 80 series with 3" slash cut stainless steel tips and stock pipes on, I get the same thing. Everyone thinks my car is a v8.
        2002 Firebird<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2106142/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2106142/1</a>

Comment

Alright, thanks, i can only hope my borla pro xs muffler sounds good on stock pipes and adds power also. I noticed after i purchased my borla muffler that the flowmasters were about half the price of the one i got..that doesn't necessarily mean it's twice as good though..

If i were to replace the stock cat with a straight pipe, i would go with 2.25 because when i replace the pipes i will get 3" and a 3" high flo cat. So how long of a 2.25" pipe would i need to replace it, and how hard would it be to do by myself?
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

what year is it newer ones will throw a code becouse of the o2 seneser before and after the cat unless you get a simulater to bypass it I have pacesetter headers and hiflow cat and flowmaster 80 sounds like a V8 I cant get the ricers to try me

Comment

It's a 96. I was looking under the car the other day and thought i saw some kind of sensor going into the cat housing heatsheild type thing, but didn't see any sensors before and after, though i wasn't really looking.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i had a highflow cat..then just decided to go with a straightpipe...my SES light is on and for somereason people who know stuff about cars are afraid to race just bcuz of that...doesnt both me though lol :)

Comment

thanks guys. I am now wondering...

did any of you guys get new exit pipes from the muffler to the back of the car? I know that if i got my muffler installed, i would need new pipes because not only are they a different size, but they aren't long enough to get to the back of the car, and with my tips that i bought, if i cut them off where it is straight, not downfiring, the tips would be almost a foot under the car.

So if you guys got your muffler installed with new pipes from the muffler back, but not catback, how much did you spend on installation? I got an estimate at a muffler shop for about $45 for a muffler install, but i don't think that included new pipes from the muff back, and seeing as to how their pipe bender was 'down,' they couldn't make ones anyway...
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

just have them cut it where it bends then add you some dual chrome tips then it will be all good. I wouldn't really worry about 3 inch pipes and all that because my car came stock with the dual catback and all I did was add the flowmaster and it is nice. Trust me you will be happy but in the future you might wanna add headers

Comment

that's what i'm saying though, i just bought some tips, i think they are 9". if the pipes were cut where they bend, even with the tips, they would end far from the rear bumper.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

How much did you guys pay to get it installed? The place i got an estimate at was without new pipes from the muffler, which i need to get, their pipe bender was broken and i have to go someplace else. I won't have a chance to go anywhere until next week, but i would like to know how much i'm going to need to pay to get just the muffler installed with new pipes from teh muffler back.
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

97 dollars was the cost for me I bought a 40 series flowmaster off ebay for about 55 dollars and it was the wrong flowmaster it was for a truck so the guy just took it and charged me 97 dollars so I say no more than 125 for you since you have niether but like I said you are gonna like it when you start the car

Comment

i went out today and got a few estimates from places i found in the phonebook. Since my first estimate was just for the muffler install, no new pipes (seeing how they didn' have a bender), it was only 45, but didn't count. So I went and got an estimate for $100, and i was pleasantly surprised, but i decided i would shop around still, and went one more place to see if it would be cheaper, and they told me it would be a little over $200 for the install with new pipes from the muffler back. Hmm..same job for this price, or twice that...
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I made an appiontment for wednesday for the $100 job after realizing there were no other muffler shops around. Even though the phonbook told me there were a few that apparently didn't exist in my city..
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X