This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnaflow Install, Review, Problems

God where to begin... as of this morning, my 3 inch catback magnaflow exhaust and my catco catalytic converter was installed. Upon starting my car up for the first time, I LOVED IT.. sounded so great at idle. After driving around most of the day it was a liiitttle loud on the inside, but quieted down towards the evening, perhaps cuz I put a hundred miles on it? Nonetheless the exhaust shop said it was somewhat of a pain in the *** to put in. It didn't come with an S-pipe so I had to drive around northeast ohio to get 2 90 degree 3 inch s pipes which cost an additional 40 bucks :( . Exhaust sounds good and at about 4k rpms it gets what I guess everyone calls "rasp" not too horrible, I don't mind it. Only thing I've disliked until this evening was the interior noise, a liiittle loud for my liking, sounds good but a little loud. What can I do to muffle it a little? So here's to my questions. Something smells like complete *** . It smells like hot metal and it's kind of annoying. Is it the muffler getting broken in? If so I can put up with it. Anyway, later on this evening I go and wash my car and I notice that at idle it's laboring, the rpms aren't going up and down but it sounds wrong. Accleration is delayed, i put the gas down and it doesn't do much, if I keep the same pressure on it'll randomly "acclerate" like it should've from the beginning.

A little back info, About a month-2 months ago I had the cylinder 3,5 coil pack replaced and the cylinder 5 injector replaced. It kind of feels like it did before except that before it was kind of puttering, maybe I don't recognize the new noise. Also I've heard if one coil pack goes bad, they all tend to :(

The car feels "clogged" I dunno what it could be, the service engine light came on, I'll check it out tomorrow. Here's what got installed
    3inch in and out catco
    3 inch magnaflow exhaust
    O2 sensor was installed in the exhaust in the same spot the old one was.

Could a o2 sim remedy this? would the catco cause this kind of thing?

If you could answer my smell question and the ses question in relation to the exhaust it'd be great.
    Also I kinda felt a little sick since the exhaust got put in. I dunno if it is just me and the cold season or the smell. But has anyone ever had a prob with a new exhaust being installed and not feeling too well? What would cause that, IF ANYTHING? Could just be me. Now for the review

Cost:
    280 for the entire exhaust
    45 for the s-pipes
    55 for catco
    160 for install 3 hours labor
    $540 total

Quality: 3 inch exhaust, 3.5 inch stainless steel tips look very, very nice. I thought they'd stick out really far behind the car, but it doesn't even come out. It's just under the license plate, very nice.
    The muffler is stainless steel and looks very nice underneath the car. The guy who worked on my car said he needed to do some fabrication to make it fit. He said the tailpipes are of different lengths thus made it difficult to make them even. Even though they look the same to me or anyone else who'll look. One is a little higher than the other 1/4 of an inch maybe, but once again unnoticeable.

Sound: Sounds great at idle. Nothing sounds better than feeling the fumes rush through the exhaust and out the back to make that oh so sexy sound. God I love it, it won't ever get old [img]smile.gif[/img] . I only have a free ram air mod, no headers, and the cat plus exhaust. So under light load it sounds great throughout all the rpms. But once again, a little loud for me in the interior. Dynomat could help right? Better weatherstripping? Anyway as mentioned very, very minor rasp occurs between 4k-4.5k but not a big deal and I expect the exhaust to sound better after it really breaks in. Otherwise I'm very happy, people have turn heads, I actually got in a race in which I'll mention [img]smile.gif[/img] . So with the sound, if able to lighten the interior noise just a liiitle. Then it'll be perfect!

Performance: Hm, it's hard to gauge. I have heard a big exhaust will lose you low end torque and gain power up high. But, I don't know. Before when I floored it, the car kinda put me to my seat when it switched gears. It doesn't do that as much now, but when acclerating the speedo makes a steady increase up instead of an instant power gain and then dying out. So I see where people say you lose a little down low. But throughout the whole power range it does feel much better. The accleration is more subtle, but if you eye the speedo before and after, you'll see the difference as I did. Especially at highway speeds it feels much better. I think you need to disregard the initial power surge when you floor it and look at the speedo move when you're close to redlining, then you'll see. Also, I NEVER peel out, my 3.08s and sport appearance package make my car a little sluggish. But I peeled out twice under light load and the weird thing is I barely heard it due to the exhaust [img]smile.gif[/img] . I'm happy with that!

Overall: I was very happy this morning, but the ses prob I gotta get checked, please answer my questions related to that, and also archive this in case anyone needs an exhaust review!
    For the money, performance, quality and sound, I have to say I'm happy with my purchase. Just needs to be a little quieter for my taste. I would recommend this setup to anybody and I will post pics and clips when I can.

Another question: If I videotape the sound/video of my car, could I take that tape and bring it to an office max or something and they can put it on a computer disc? Just curious cuz my video camera is old school. THANKS AND LET ME HEAR YOUR RESPONSES!!!!
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Glad to hear you like it. I say get a resonator on there to tone it down a bit. As for the noise, that is just part of having a more free flowing exhaust. I think office max can transfer the video. If not, just a Dazzle creator connector at your local electronics store for like 30-40 bucks and transfer all the video you want.
    98 Camaro V6

Comment

thx for the response, now anything on the ses or the smell??
      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

If the smell is of burning metal or smells like the exhaust shop then it's ok. When I put my muffler on my old truck it smelled for a day or so, but when I put my Magnaflow cat-back on my camaro the damn thing stunk for like 3 days. I would gun it alot and let the airflow kick out that crap. I think it's just some leftover metal shavings from the welding...I dunno just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
        If sex is a pain in the *** you\'re doing it wrong!!! (Rodney Daingerfield)

Comment

got the ses light scanned and have 2 codes

code 1: Random cylinder misfire. Could this be the other 2 coil packs failing? Like I said I replaced the 3/5 coil and the 5th injector a little over a month ago and have heard if one coil fails they all do. I got this code cleared and for about 25 miles nothing bad has happened. This is concurrent with what happened last time. After I first saw an SES light before I cleared it and it went away for a few months, then came back in full force..

code2: P0152? something like that but it has to do with the o2 sensor on the second bank. I know the 152 part is right but what does that mean? 2nd bank, that's before the cat right? will an o2 sim clear out all o2 sensor probs? Let me know guys

btw it still sounds great [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes the smell goes away.
            I just got my exhaust done too, but for a lot cheaper. It smelled for like 2 days or so til I put a few miles on my car and got the exhaust broken in.
            I don't know what yo ucan do about the SES, I could have told you before the exhaust you were going to get one though. A couple other guys on here had the same problem I think, you might have to wait until they see your post.
            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

smell will go away and the sound will get a lil deeper. As far as your codes, it may be just a spark plug or wires are burnt. try changing those first, then move on to changing the coils.
              that 02 sensor code may mean that they messed up ur sensor when you installed it or its just a problem with CATCO. I heard many people get codes with CATCO. You should have gone magnaflow high flow cat like me, I have no codes and I thinks it is worth the price.
              My pipes did stick out a lil but I got the shop to fix it, it takes about an hour or so to reweld it and all, but it still sticks out abut 1/8 or an inch more, maybe less, that is factory defect from Magnaflow, but I love it, good choice by getting Magnaflow man.
              2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

The smell is the welds of the exhaust system assembly. It's normal...the smell will go away in a day or two.

Many people will have the SES light come on when they put in a CATCO cat. The SES light could also be due to an O2 sensor that they may have damaged when handling it. But most places are pretty careful with that so I'm leaning towards the cat. I've heard that if the cat (any Non-OEM cat) isn't installed PERFECTLY, the SES light will come on. I'm not too sure about that though as it seems kind of far-fetched.

As for insulating the sound, you may want to look into Dynamat (sp?). It was made to keep the sound from you speakers inside the car because some of the sound will drain out. It also keeps a lot of road noise out of the car when you're driving. I'm not sure where you'd have to have this put in but I'm sure it would help a lot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

GET THAT VIDEO! lol [img]smile.gif[/img]
                1997 Camaro RS A4 <br />3.08 Rear<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/470169\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/470169</a><p>Mods:<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler <br />MSD Ignition Coils<p>Soon to be installed:<br />3.42 Gears<br />MSD Plug Wires

Comment

smell went away.... got the 2 codes cleared and they haven't come back... what's up with that?

question, my uncle is an old school mechanic and he said a bigger exhaust will burn the exhaust valves.. heads.. something like that. What's up with that?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jc Kyle:
                    question, my uncle is an old school mechanic and he said a bigger exhaust will burn the exhaust valves.. heads.. something like that. What's up with that?<hr></blockquote>

When the backpressure is extrememly low, after the throttle is lifted, cold air will travel into the system from the tips and back to the exhaust valves. Since the air is so cold relative to the valve, it can damage it. It is highly unlikely that this is happening to you. This is something you would worry about it you ran the motor with no exhaust manifolds connected, or if you are driving a race car.
                    Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Re: Magnaflow Install, Review, Problems

how did you clear the codes? im putting in a magnaflow cat soon and dont want the second code to pop up

Comment

You did mention a car wash. I have had similar symptoms going through a car wash. It'll spudder and idle rough. Cleared the codes a lil while later and they haven't returned. Not to say this is your situation though.

Comment

notice this thread is nearly 3 and a half years old...these members are most likely long gone....

DEAD THREAD
                          1999 Camaro Z/28
                          1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X