Manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifolds

what year engines have the tubular manifolds? Oh and are they or do they have a noticable difference over the cast manifolds? Also are they an alturnative route to headers?

Re: Manifolds

00'-02' have tubular manifolds. there is a noticeable difference and what do you mean alternative route? like how they are routed in the engine bay?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i think he means can he use them instead of headers and still get close to the same gains. if thats what your asking then yes. then are basically the same as aftermarket headers.
      '99 Camaro Y87 M5 T-tops
      Flowmaster american thunder cat back, 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat, centerforce dual friction clutch

Car Domain

Comment

Originally posted by 99camaro-3.8
        i think he means can he use them instead of headers and still get close to the same gains. if thats what your asking then yes. then are basically the same as aftermarket headers.
        headers will be louder for one thing. and if you search a little, putting tubular mani's on a older 3.8 isnt just a bolt on, there's A/C lines and stuff down there that has to be moved/relocated.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

look cooler too if u get ceramic coated, help keep heat in better as well. makes changing spark plugs and wires a cinch too.
          Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

About putting the newer manifolds in place of the cast ones- if headers (which have more dimensions) can be put into all the cars realatively easily. Then wouldn't putting the newer semi-style headers off the 00-02 motors be the same? I just don't see how the a/c lines and all have to be moved. NO offense but I don't think that what you are thinking of is a/c lines, I think you are referring to tranny lines for the autos right? The reason for all of this is listed on the advance tech board under failure? help?. That one should explain most of my reasoning for all of this manifold questioning.
            Thanxs guys for your help.
            Also last of all, if I was to switch to the newer style manifolds I would have to change the y-pipe to right?

Comment

no offence taken, but im 99% sure the a/c lines have to be bent. and yes, you will need the Y pipe.here's a pic comparing the two ( tubular VS log )

2000+ tubular manifolds(left) and the 1999 and before log-style manifolds(right):

BTW - BLLDOGG if your still adding thing to that exhuast stickey maybe you should include that pic?
              Last edited by loser; 05-04-2006, 07:11 PM.
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Hey man um I hate to question you again, but um I don't have either of them.
                I have a 96 3.8 too. I serious tho, I don't have either one of those, mine look like regular cat style small block manifolds. The ones on the left I have seen before on newer cars, but the ones on the right remind me of ramhorn headers from old corvettes. I had a set come to think of it, traded them for a radiator for my race car. I should have taken a picture of them when I had them so you could have seen the resiblence that I see. But I am sure that I don't have either style on my car. Mine look like the cast style off a small block like a 305 v8 where they run towards the back and then exit. I think there is more to my car than I even know. Car fax has recorded 12 reports on it, so I don't want to know anything about its past judgeing from that. I don't know man. My car has to much history other than me, I bet I am the best owner it has had tho,LOL.

Comment

you're going to have the logs on the right side. putting the tubulars on will also require matching y-pipe as the tubes are longer/hang lower. Also, Dan M tried to get the tubes on his ride, and the a/c lines wouldn't go.

also, having experiance w/both these manifolds during my swap project version 3.2, the early style manifold gskets from dealer were about $20/pop, teh later style ws iirc, $12 max for both sets.
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

is the reason for the a\c line problem that they stick out farther?

i was thinking of doing this swap also, on a 97, i haven't really looked at what is on mine though.

Comment

What do you mean they won't go, the a/c lines or the manifolds? Becuase either way I will make it work.You can take a torch and bend the manifolds, or the lines, whatever is the easiest thing, and about the manifolds, I am serious tho, I don't have either...

Comment

Originally posted by natural3800
                        What do you mean they won't go, the a/c lines or the manifolds? Becuase either way I will make it work.You can take a torch and bend the manifolds, or the lines, whatever is the easiest thing, and about the manifolds, I am serious tho, I don't have either...
                        you have log type manifolds, unless someone put different ones on. id just go headers, the a/c lines are hard to bend, they tend to kink. search and your'll find tons of info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X