Air Filter/MAF Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter/MAF Sensor

So I've come across a bit of information that I found interesting. This may have been brought up before but I just wanted to get other people's take on this....
    I heard that air filters which have oil, such as the K&N, over time the oil vapors will blow on to the MAF sensor ruining it.

I've never heard any complaints or anything, but when I heard this it sounded like a viable concern I had never thought of.
    1999 Firebird

Re: Air Filter/MAF Sensor

it is mainly when people use the recharger kit to clean them. Comes with a special cleaner spray, and filter oil spray, and if you over oil the filter, the possibility is there i guess. I cleaned my slp filters a couple weeks ago with the k&n recharger kit, and just made sure to follow the directions carefully and not apply too much oil. The key is to let the filters sit for a while (they recommend 10minutes, i gave it about 45 cause i was in no hurry) and soak in and dry as much as possible before you put them back on the intake.

This is completely off topic, but those that have aftermarket intakes/filters and havn't cleaned them in a while....go pick up the k&n recharger kit. That thing was worth every bit of the 9$ i spent on it, and i still have enough to clean/oil the filters atleast 2 times again in the future. I was surprised at how much stuff you cant see that gets trapped in those filters.
    Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

a concern you don't need to have. ;) It does release oil, but nothing to worry about
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I guess it's only really an issue when you over oil it, like Harrison said. But I actually heard of this happening to people and I'm not really wanting to buy the new sensor, they aren't the cheapest part.
        Oh well, no big deal, I was just wondering if anyone else heard of this or ran into the problem.
        1999 Firebird

Comment

I have a couple spare 95-98 MAFs laying around so no worries here
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X