SLP CAI question ('98-'02)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP CAI question ('98-'02)

I am VERY afraid of hydrolocking my engine by driving through water, even though I know its not likely. I want to do something to like make a block-off plate, or something similar for when it is raining. Anyways, my question is, are the foam/rubber seals around the base of the air box assembly necessary? Would it hurt to just remove the front seal?
    01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Fasttoys and Whisper ramair(coldair) have blockoff plates. The SLP brand doesn't. The seals are there to keep the air from seeping out in order for the ramair kit to work effectively. As far as the front seal, I don't know. I have the free ramair and I don't know whether or not the front airbox hole is suppose to be sealed.
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

I dont know...all I know is that Ive had mine for more than a year...driven it through rain, storms, and flooded streets and ive never had any problems. And I dont even have that plastic cover thats under the car right inside in the front of the wheel. I took it off so more air could go in ofcourse. But even then I havent had any problems.
      <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Unfortunately, I already have the SLP CAI installed, hence the question. The seals are just to make sure the air comes from the CAI, and not from the hot engine bay. How do the other CAI's work with the block-off plate on? Do they still have all of the seals? If so, where does air come from when the plate is in? Thanks for your input! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by oxbld:
          How do the other CAI's work with the block-off plate on? [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

It disables it. The plate is for your option. If you wanna block it off when it rains, it disables the ramair. THEN you'll have to remove the front seal(if you sealed it) from your airbox.
          <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            5 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            3 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X