Current Exhaust Setup, Is It Enough?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Exhaust Setup, Is It Enough??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Exhaust Setup, Is It Enough??

I currently have a 3" Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter and a Flowmaster Muffler with dual outlets. All other pipes are completely stock. Am I gaining enough from this or would the following help me more without hurting backpressure requirements? :

Replace 90* Non-Mandrel S-Pipe with:
    1. 1 45* 2.5" mandrel pipe connected to cat with expanded 3" tip on other end.
    2. 1 45* 3" mandrel pipe connected to expanded end of 2.5" 45* pipe.
    3. 3" pipe replacing stock 2.5" I-pipe connecting to stock over-axle pipe via reducer.

I think it might sound a bunch better and flow better too, but is it too much? I think that the restriction at the pipe over the axle (still being 2.5") would help keep some backpressure while the other mods would help free some up for more power. I do have 3.42's and LSD sitting here (replacing 3.08's and open differential) so I'll gain more low end if a little is lost. But is it worth the work??
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

For your S pipe, I would get two 3" 45 degree pipes instead of one 3" and the other 2.5". The I pipe is your decision. If you're getting a power adder, go with the 3". If not, go with a 2.5 or 2.75".
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

When I got my car, it had a stock exhaust set-up, with the exception of a Flowmaster. I put WS6 tailpipes on the Flowmaster, the only change, and it dropped my bottom end, but I also gained on the top end. So, you'd be surprised by what changes will happen. I'd say that the only thing you might consider, if you've got the time and money, is the S-pipe mod, and see how that works.
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X