CA Smog Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Smog Laws

Do you guys know what's allowed and what's not allowed in California? I've been told that modifications to your exhaust to make it louder, addition of a supercharger or removal of the air box are illegal. They will fail the visual portion of the smog test. Can anyone verify this? I've already been popped for window tint(by CHP, not smog) and had to remove it. I'd rather not modify anything if I have to spend a weekend replacing all my factory parts prior to smog tests.
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

I believe that there are some restrictions. Anything you add to your car, it should have a CARB # which you place under your hood. That will ensure that it is working with your year's car.

I have changed my exhaust and intake, bored intake and heads, does the low temp stat and had 0 problems passing smog. My idle was too high due to a EGR valve being retarded. Had to replace that but that was not big deal.

I have only had 1 smog experience with my camaro so far, so I hope t his helps some.

Chris

Comment

spunger, you are my hero. If you can get through smog with all that done, I have far less fear. Nice setup, by the way! Ever hear of a supercharger getting through smog on a 3.4? All the S/C setups for 3.4s I've seen are custom, so I would think a CARB sticker would be out of the question.
      \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

CARB (California Air Resources Board) numbers arent stickers, they generally have to be stamped into the part. Main reason why theyre not on some parts is that our pain-in-the-azz state requires some huge amount of money and even crazier paperwork to get a CARB number certification for a part.

However, you can modify the exhaust from the cat back. (ie [img]tongue.gif[/img] ut on a catback system)

And since you have a pre-'95 vehicle, you can put on a high flow cat.

If you find a set of headers with CARB numbers (good luck) you could put those on too.
        -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X