# of washers on raised air box mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of washers on raised air box mod

I put 5 2 mm. thick washers under my air box. Is that too many, should I add more? All I hear is to put 3 washers underneath each bolt area. How thick of washers? I don't feel like breaking my bolts by doing something stupid like having too many washers in at one time.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

I went with 3 per bolt since thats all I had

you say 5 works? Cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

I dont know how many you should use, but if the hood doesnt hit it and you like it then cool!

I'll try 5 or more someday [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I used 3 washers per bolt, can't remember what size. Very cheap though, cost me like $1.43 or so at Lowe's.
      2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

i use 4 on the inside bolts and 3 on the outside my wisper lid barly and i mean barly touches the hood but dosnt hurt it at all i slam the hood and it hasnt done anything

Comment

I used 2 pieces of hose in the inside and it raised about 1".Well i can fit my hole hand under
          the airbox and still got plenty of room under the hood for more. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
          ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Does anyone that has raised the airbox also have the ram-air mod? I'm trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to raise the airbox along with the ram air.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

Comment

I have four washers under the outside screws only. Came out to about 7mm. Couldn't find any washers that were exactly 2mm. RedBird98, I think that it would be more than worthwhile with the ram air hood. I can't wait to get mine. Also, I cut the rest of my airbox out yesterday, so that all of the filter can take advantage of the bigger inlet. Don't know if it makes a difference yet, but it can't hurt. Before I get my hood installed, I'm gonna lower my airbox back to the stock position, and then raise it back after my car is finished. Not sure of the ram air hood clearance, so I'm gonna be safe.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
              <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I did the ram air mod 2 days ago and i think it works good whith the raised air box. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Seems to me that with the free ram air mod, you would want more of the cooler air coming from the cutout underneath the air box, and less of the hot underhood air coming into the front of the air box. In fact, some of the CAI systems come with a seal for the front of the air box.

I started out to do just the washers yesterday, and ended up doing the free ram air instead after I got into it.
                  \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

I will be buying the ws6 ram air lower box and attach my current stuff to it. It has the same bolt pattern as the V6's and with the ram air hood i'll be getting, it'll get me some good gains I think.
                    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrick Javert:
                      I will be buying the ws6 ram air lower box and attach my current stuff to it. It has the same bolt pattern as the V6's and with the ram air hood i'll be getting, it'll get me some good gains I think.<hr></blockquote>

the lower portion of the 98+ v6 air box is exactly the same on the v8 cars.....its only the lid that is different....don't waste your money...

Your air box will work with the ws6 hood, or any functional hood that is designed for a 98+ stock air box.

The only portion of the ws6 airbox i would want is that little rubber strip that attaches to the front opening...that would be the only thing worthwhile to get IMO.
                      Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

Comment

I'm gonna make a ram air duct similar to the "Fast
                        Toy" but instead of just a deflector plate from the airdam to the filter i'm gonna do more like a
                        box intake from the airdam up.Got hold of some .025" aircraft sheet metal&gt; :rolleyes:
                        Anyways,let yall know how it works.I"ll start the mod this weekend. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                        ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Has anybody tried to do the 'other' Free Ram Air by cutting openings in the nostrils of the stock firebird hood. I have the original Free Ram Air mod and pounded the 1" of metal down in front of the air box. I was also thinking of some way to raise the air box before I started reading all of this.
                          Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X