Oxygen sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen sensor question

I have a '96 camaro and will be replacing my oxygen sensors soon and was wondering if there was a pt# for them. I went to my local Chevy garage and the guy told me there was 3 diffent types, position 1 being the R/L banks, positon 2 pre-cat, and position 3 post-cat. He quoted me a price in the 100's per sensor for the ones in the banks and 60 for the position 2 and 3. I thought a O2 sensor was a O2 sensor? When I went to Advanced they only had one type(Bosch), so my question is are there 3 different types? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: jrcamaro96 ]</p>
    1996 Camaro 3.8<br />Edelbrock Exhaust, SLP Intake, Bosch, Platinum +4 Plugs, Accel Wires, SLP fan switch<p>\"Let the good times roll\"

quick question for you, why do you want to replace your 02 sensor?

Ive actually just got a new highflow 3' cat, with 3' catback system, but i left about a an inch of stock 2.25 piping on wich the 02 sensor was attached( after the cat). i want to get rid of that sensor all together and put in there a 3" pipe, that inch of 2.25 stock piping is constricting the air flow.

What do u think?
    bad move to get rid of sensor? my SES is already on so i dont give rats *** ! or does it have something to do with fuel mixture if i remove that sensor?
    97 Firebird <br />Flowmaster series 80 Muffler,<br />3\" Highflow Cat, <br />3\" CatBack, <br />20% Tints All around.<br />2.5\" dual out (soon quad stainless steel-from fasttoys)

Comment

I would assume that the O2 sensor behind the cat tells your diagnostics that your cat is functional and doing it's job. There seems to be a tremendous lack of concern on this board about the SES light. It's there for a reason. If it's on, your car is LIMPING! Why don't you get that handled? If it wasn't for my SES light, I never would have known the MAP sensor or EGR valve went out.
      \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

I'm replacing them because I have 90k on them and it's about time(my bad for waitng so long [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] ) But you need the one one post cat to tell your computer its working properly and if you want to get rid of it then use an O2 sim.

So anyone else have an answer to my previous Q.?
        JR

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: jrcamaro96 ]</p>
        1996 Camaro 3.8<br />Edelbrock Exhaust, SLP Intake, Bosch, Platinum +4 Plugs, Accel Wires, SLP fan switch<p>\"Let the good times roll\"

Comment

All of them are the same, no different part #'s Go to your local autozone, I got mine for $60 a piece :D
          97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

Thanks alot Redbird..I appreciate it

Comment

Your local muffler shop can weld in a bung(huh,huh...yeah) for a sensor into your 3" pipe. They do it all the time.
              \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jrcamaro96:
                Thanks alot Redbird..I appreciate it<hr></blockquote>

No problem

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] :D
                97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

I replace my O2 sensors every 20k miles on my 3.4.. I avergage 23mpg, what do u all do?
                  Ric Johnson<br />----------------<br />1995 Pro AM III #12<br />3.4 A4<br />KN FIPK intake with ram air mod<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />RKSport IAT sensor <br />ASP Underdrive pullys<br />TB Bypass<br />PF52 larger oil filter<br />3.42 non posi rear end<br />DeCarbon Trans Am shocks<br />Eibach pro series springs<br />B&M Shift Plus+ (best $40 ive ever spent)<br />Custom made billet alum front end inserts<br />Interior trim painted to match the car<br />Awia CD player with factory bose sound system<br />Viper alarm system<br /><a href=\"http://www.proam.webhop.org/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.proam.webhop.org/</a>

Comment

Hey i have 123,000 miles on mine i think i should change them i bet thats why i got beat by a 3.1, well that and my head gasket and valve covers, rear main, oil pump, rods, well crap anyways i replaced the whold engine last week all but the o2 sensors [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] :D :D
                    My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

I'm hopeing that when I change them i'll get better gas mpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X