Custom exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom exhaust

Ok I am going 2 custom build exhaust for my Firebird and I need some opinions on it. Here is a picture of what I am doing Http://www.ptsi.net/user/walldr/exhaust.jpg

What do you guys think?

Also the plate would be changeable similar to the Borlas. What kind of muffler would you recommend? I am thinking either Edelbrock or Borla on it.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Blue Flame V6 ]</p>
    2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

i dont get it? whats the point of putting aplate in the outlet pipe?
    <a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/e/defrag/sig.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">1997 Firebird V6-Y87/W68</a>

Comment

or u could do a normal set up and do this http://www.ls1.com/link_exhaust.html i did it to mine, i made the hole alot bigger and used one 2in copper pipe.. it sounds really good.. i also have flomaster muffler

Comment

I don't know why you'd do a "custom" setup like that on a Borla. I think you might even want to consider a Z28 takeoff if you were going ot do that bypass thing.
        Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

I would take a look at the slp loudmouth kit for 98-02 z28's and model yours to be like that. I'm having a shop do that for me either custom or by buying the slp setup and moding it to fit my car. you don't need a muffler since cops tend to think muscle cars are supposed to be loud. If you don't want to get caught, stay under 3000 rpm's when around cops.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

The point of this is I can adjust the tone and the back pressure by just changing the plate to a larger or smaller bore.
            2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

That's pointless. You're gonna put extra time and work and possibly money into an exhaust setup that offers no benifits of just getting and normal dual exhaust setup and putting a cutout on it. Also, with that setup, when you have the plate closed off, you're gonna be running only a single exhaust outlet. When the plate is opened, it's just like having a cutout. Why not just put a cutout on your pipes behind your cat? It would be a lot cheaper and easier. And if you want to make plates with variable bores, then just get a few extra plates on the cutout and drill em.

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: GrdLock ]</p>
              Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Waste of time and money in my opinion.
                -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Just do what a Matt did on his. He put an exhaust cut out on the bend where it goes into the muffler so the exhaust goes strait and out instead of taking a 90* turn. Now he pulls on me when I used to pull on him. Now he has some weird rattling though after his car sucked up some water, ha ha, jk. I hope to be pulling on him again after I get my custom high flow cat on, he he.
                  1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

Yeah, I noticed a litle loss off the line when racing, but like Ttop34 said, he USED to pell me HARD in 3rd gear, but now I keep him right behind me the whole way. The ticking BTW is nothing serious, the cut-out is helping me loosen a nut below the car somewhere, and I just have to find it.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RacerJ:
                      Waste of time and money in my opinion.<hr></blockquote>

Actually this is cheaper than a normal cat-back.

Comment

I have borla, and I think it is kind of a waste to do that. I always keep my exhaust on the largest hole and it sounds great. I think you should forget about the plates and just make it go straight out on one side and after that decide if you want the plates. And no, it is not like a cutout, because just as much air still goes through the muffler. Definately go with a borla muffler. I think it is the best sounding, but most people here think its a waste, because they have never heard it.
                        2000 manual blackbird with borla exhaust, slp intake, b&m shifter, plugs and wires, control arms and panhard rod<br />14.94 @93.3 mph

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrick Javert:
                          I would take a look at the slp loudmouth kit for 98-02 z28's and model yours to be like that. I'm having a shop do that for me either custom or by buying the slp setup and moding it to fit my car. you don't need a muffler since cops tend to think muscle cars are supposed to be loud. If you don't want to get caught, stay under 3000 rpm's when around cops.<hr></blockquote>

My 89 Camaro had a 305 V8. I was running the exhaust streight out of the Cat converter. I never got cought by cops. I had it like that for a full year. One time I did a nasty burn out and the whole time the cop was watching me. HE didnt say a word about my exaust. He just gave me a ticket for the burnout. I even passed emissions. Because I know a guy but the car still passed.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eurokiller:
                            I have borla, and I think it is kind of a waste to do that. I always keep my exhaust on the largest hole and it sounds great. I think you should forget about the plates and just make it go straight out on one side and after that decide if you want the plates. And no, it is not like a cutout, because just as much air still goes through the muffler. Definately go with a borla muffler. I think it is the best sounding, but most people here think its a waste, because they have never heard it.<hr></blockquote>

You can put a cutout on your car in the same place that the pipe on a Borla setup would come out, therefore you would be running the same amount of air through the muffler as you would with a Borla setup. And whether people think it is a waste or not is a matter of opinion. I used to want Borla, but never got around to paying it's insanely high price. I eventually got a set of Flowmaster's for $80. Yes, I've heard numerous Borla setups on V6's, so don't say I've never heard it. My Flows IMHO sound better. They're just as deep, but don't have that INCREDIBLY loud sound that Borla makes, which I personally (once again a matter of opinion) don't like. So I myself could never justify spending ~$600 on Borla when I like my Flows just as good or better.
                            Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eurokiller:
                              I have borla, and I think it is kind of a waste to do that. I always keep my exhaust on the largest hole and it sounds great. I think you should forget about the plates and just make it go straight out on one side and after that decide if you want the plates. And no, it is not like a cutout, because just as much air still goes through the muffler. Definately go with a borla muffler. I think it is the best sounding, but most people here think its a waste, because they have never heard it.<hr></blockquote>

Can I hear what yours sounds like?

Also it will cost me less to do it this way now then it will later.

I also ran my 3.8 open right after the cat just no pipe no muffler and it sounded good but to much interior vibration.

In my town sound laws are rarely enforced I know of 3 times that they have enforced it. Once on me for running my chevelle open header. Once for a 5.0 running open header and also for having cut off flowmasters.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X