Cold air intake VS Ram air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold air intake VS Ram air

Thinking about SLP...can anyone change my mind?
    also thinking about a Ram air hood...can i do both, or do i have to choose?...i know a hood is costly, but they look so good! (as long as it isn't the WS6 hood-YUCK)
    seriously, can ram and CIA be run at the same time?
    i'm asking because i couldn't find it in search, and i want to spend money.

furthermore--the slp cia for the 99+ is an underbody scoop, correct? i remember previous ones were the tube deals with the cone, etc. I'm a correct here?

thoughts appreciated, more info better!
    Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ike:
    Thinking about SLP...can anyone change my mind? <hr></blockquote>

In my opinion SLP makes the best intakes out there.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>also thinking about a Ram air hood...can i do both, or do i have to choose?<hr></blockquote>

You need a different type of intake for the ram air hood to work to it's full effect. For the 98+ models I THINK you can get a normal lid intake and still have it work with the hood... but I'd check up on that. Go here for all the details www.suncoastcreations.com

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
    seriously, can ram and CIA be run at the same time?
    i'm asking because i couldn't find it in search, and i want to spend money.
    <hr></blockquote>

www.suncoastcreations.com should have all you need.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>furthermore--the slp cia for the 99+ is an underbody scoop, correct?<hr></blockquote>

It's a lid style air intake that allows better flow than the stock one. SLP makes a ram air system which collects cooler air from outside and guides it to direct contact with the air filter... which is why I have been told about rocks and stuff getting up in the intake.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> i remember previous ones were the tube deals with the cone, etc. I'm a correct here?
    <hr></blockquote>

The ones for 93-97 are cone shaped you can rig it so one will fit a 98+ car. Good luck in whatever you get.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Liquid Silver ]</p>
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

*so ram air means no wisper lid?
      *any one have pictures of the 98+ slp CAI installed? also, any other company's installed (for comparison)
      *what does a raise air box do? and what's it look like?
      *still confused on this one...is is possible to do both?
      *the goal would be to have a functional ram air hood, cold air intake bringing it up from the bottom, a wisper lid to get rid of those baffles and silencers, and have a K&N...also some exhaust mods
      *thanks
      Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

ram air with most of the hoods out there are not even truly functional tell about 100+mph if you want a ram air setup that works at wot i would seriously tell you to check into E-ram the elctronic ram air charger. That is the same concept as ram air but more efficient.

oh and if you did use a functional "ram" air hood that is the sort of similiar to cai that it brings in outside engine bay temp air however it may not have the same straight through design to stop air from tumbling and getting heated up.

your answer no you can not use both setups as they both have their own inducting setup. They both are probably the same gain simply because of a good filter and outside engine bay air access.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: knowledgefreak ]</p>

Comment

E-Ram? I've only ever heard the worst on them!

do you think that a combination air box could be made to handle both?

and i would still like to see some pics of people's CAI setups...specifically SLP stuff.

thanks,
          -ike

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ike:
            E-Ram? I've only ever heard the worst on them!

do you think that a combination air box could be made to handle both?

and i would still like to see some pics of people's CAI setups...specifically SLP stuff.

thanks,
            -ike
            <hr></blockquote>

From what I've read, I don't think so. When you use the underhood CAI on 98+ models, you block off the old air path. If you are considering underhood CAI check out http://www.fasttoys.net
            They'll have a pic too. Their kit comes with a blockoff plate and has a good price. Read FAQs to find out what the blockoff plate CAN be used for. Don't wanna start that debate. As far as the e-ram, I too am interested in it, and would have to agree that though it isn't a supercharger it would be a good ram air supplement under 80mph (when they say direct ram air has its affects.) The only thing keeping me from buying it right now is other mods that I need to do first, how I'm gonna install it, and what happens when the e-ram isn't on as far as restricting the air flow. They claim not much restriction. I'd have to talk to them on the phone first before I'd order it. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
            <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I have the CAI and Whisper lid installed. I did notice better MPG and smoother engine. It must be working for me.
              Example B4 install 28 MPG at constant 65MPH after install same gas same road 35 MPG.
              Mine came from
              http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/v6catalog.html
              I purchase the combo for $259.00
              Just my nickles worth.
              &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gt1953:
                I have the CAI and Whisper lid installed. I did notice better MPG and smoother engine. It must be working for me.<hr></blockquote>

I don't know if the issue is whether or not you can use a whisper lid. I'm sure that you can, but may I ask if after you installed the underhood cai did you block off the old air inlet to your airbox?
                <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I have the SLP CAI and a G2 lid for my 98. The CAI is a stainless box that fits between the radiator and the nose underneath the original airbox. You gotta cut out pieces of the plastic shield under the old airbox and then install the CAI. The kit comes with a Gasket to close off the original opening (and I added RTV around it to be sure).

Definitely a mod worth making, I immediately noticed additional "ummph" when kicking the gas [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  associate of <b><i>VENOM VI</i></b><br /><br />2000 WS6 Pewter TransAm M6<br /><b>NOT</b> stock<br /><b>330/346 rwhp/rwtq </b><br />(pre-headers)<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 Camaro M5 (the Silver Bullet) w/lot\'s of bolt-on\'s<br />-Ryan\'s car now-<br />60\': <b><i>2.165</i></b><br />1/8 run: <b><i>9.494 @ 72.57 mph<br />209rwhp/253rwtq</i></b>

Comment

100% possible to use both :)

But you wouldn't be able to use the setup from suncoastcreations obviously.

What you would do is go out & get an induction kit w/ cones, then cut a slit in the bottom of that for the slp. Someone saw one in a summit racing catalog, and I know there is another out there on one of these sites, expensive though.

Personally, I think ram air is a little better than cai. Cai blocks off the radiator & reduces airflow through both of them quite a bit.

Ram Air hoods can "work" with any induction setup, you just might not see any gains (ie, ram air hood on stock box, it'll work but little or no gains)

Later

edit: Found example of cone setup.
                    http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...ategoryid=1023
                    might take a little work to get it to work on our cars though, for a ls1. But anyway, cut a slit in the bottom of that & you have ram air & cai.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
                    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

I recently switched from a K&N FIPK setup to the SLP Ultra Z hood with ram air box. There IS a very noticible difference with ram air and it is well before 100+mph. Simply cruising at 45mph and dropping down gives a much better kick and a faster blast through the RPM's
                      - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Viper I think your hood is the only ram air setup that actually works below 80mph the ss hood has terrible routing to get to the airbox while yours is right in front of the nose straight to the air box.

Comment

also would like to see some pics of non-suncoast ram air hood set-ups for late model firebirds...if you got some links for me...
                          also, any one else have links to pics of cai (late model) installed, or process?
                          thanks

Comment

On my site, there are still pics of the K&N FIPK setup. I have not updated the site with new intake pics with the ram air setup.
                            - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X