More Cutout drudgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Cutout drudgery.

OK when putting the cutout after the cat, should I put it right after the cat or by the rear axle? I think I could save some money If it did it right after the cat, and not need to be an I-pipe. How does it sound? anyone have a clip of any cutout anywhere on a 3.8???
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

The bottom line is that I have a 3in in aftermarket muffler with a stock cat and I-pipe. I am tired of trying to find a 2.75-3 inch I pipe, so I am wondering what to do. I have about $100 to spend, should I get a high flow cat and the a cutout to go after it? or should I just put a cutout before it? Eventually I will put a 3inch I pipe on, but not until I find one nearby.
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Put the cutout along the i-pipe on the underside of the car, after the cat. Before the cat, and you'll lose too much backpressure.
      Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro:
        Eventually I will put a 3inch I pipe on, but not until I find one nearby.<hr></blockquote>

Why don't you just order it from SummitRacing.com?
        -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

I couldn't find one that was made to fit our cars. If you know of one that would be sweet.
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I couldn't find one that was made to fit our cars. If you know of one that would be sweet.<hr></blockquote>

I know shortdog has some numbers, but I think they might be for the '98+. Only difference is the hangars. Your exhaust shop should be able to fix it. The part numbers for theirs are 54064 and 53061 (you'd need both).

But check on Dynomax's website. I think they have a couple different part numbers listed for the pre-'98 cars.

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: RacerJ ]</p>
            -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Does anyone actually have one on thier cars right now? Have part numbers for what you have???
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I used to have a cutout. Tha cut out I had was Flow-Tech's "Race Readies" exhaust cut-out. You can find it at thunderracing.com. It comes in 2.5" or 3" which depends on what you got on right now, it will most likely be 2.5". It was cool for a while but got extremely annoying and didn't sound so good at high RPM's. I got the borla and have been pretty happy with it and I'm going to improve it by adding headers and a high flow cat. I know this is not a cheap alternative but you get what you pay for. Just my $0.02. :rolleyes:
                <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

Does anyone actually have one on thier cars right now? Have part numbers for what you have???<hr></blockquote>

The part no. that racer has is correct. It WILL work on your car with the exception of hangars which is not a big deal. I got a 2.75" I pipe off a 97 Z28 and it work on my 2000 with no prob. They just cut off the old hanger.
                  <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Ok then, I will probably do that. I tried to get an I-pipe of a Z-28 but the guy at the salvage yeard didn't want to cut the pipe off of the muffler, he wanted to sell it whole. That bastard.
                    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

RacerJ or shortdog, whats the diameter of those pipe you gave me part numbers for. It doesn't say on the website.
                      Also, will I need a 14 or 16inch cat?

[ May 15, 2002: Message edited by: AZ3.8Camaro ]</p>
                      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

RacerJ or shortdog, whats the diameter of those pipe you gave me part numbers for. It doesn't say on the website.
                        Also, will I need a 14 or 16inch cat?

[ May 15, 2002: Message edited by: AZ3.8Camaro ]
                        <hr></blockquote>

It's a 3". Make sure you get both pieces if you decide to order it. I got the 14 inch cat I believe.
                        <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Sounds good, thanks guys.
                          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X