To muffle or not to muffle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To muffle or not to muffle?

I'm still thinking about what kind of exhaust to get. I like the flowmaster mufflers for their deepness, especially 3 chambered, but I also want the least backpressure i can get while keeping the stock cat on. Most mufflers also weigh like 20-30 lbs. A resonator supposedly deepens the exhaust while casuing only a little backpressure, but take up a lot of space in the i-pipe too. A friend of mine w/ a ls1 said that getting a pair of coffee can mufflers would keep backpressure down while "supposedly" deepening my exhaust. I'm asking for everyone's opinions on this one. should I get a muffler, a pair of coffee cans, a resonator, a combo of a resonator and a pair of coffee cans, or just run straight pipe from the cat w/o anything affecting the sound/backpressure of my exhaust?

I'm looking for the best combo of sound and hp gains. As far as sound goes, I'm looking for it being fairly quiet while just cruising under 2500, but I don't care how loud it is after that point. All of this will be on 3" pipe from the cat back.

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: Patrick Javert ]</p>
    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Don't do the damn loudmouth man, i promise you will hate it.

If you want the ultimate, and i've had em all except dynomax and blowmaster, get the GMMG and headers. YES they make a very noticeable difference on the 00+ cars, they mellow out the sound on the inside and make it much more crisp and defined. Or get Triflow and headers, it'll be nice and smooth on the inside.

Oh yeah, and a WS6 hood. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Just kidding!!! :D

Scott [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

Comment

what exactly was wrong w/ the loudmouth? what other intake/exhaust mods had you done when you put it on? When did it sound like crap? How loud was it?
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

All exhaust was done with the Volant intake.

It sounded horrible at all times. Like a big nasty fart can. When you got on it, it would POP like no other, and i was embarassed to get on the gas from then on. That is why i only had it for three days, as i scrambled to find someone to trade with me.

It was so loud on the inside, it rattled the console, T tops, steering wheel, etc etc. You could not hear yourself think and after driving for 10 mins with the windows up you got a headache. And it takes ALOT for me to get headaches! The sound of the cutout with no cat was much better than the damn Loudmouth, it just sounded like straight up booty crack. Just horrible.

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scott Black:
          All exhaust was done with the Volant intake.

It sounded horrible at all times. Like a big nasty fart can. When you got on it, it would POP like no other, and i was embarassed to get on the gas from then on. That is why i only had it for three days, as i scrambled to find someone to trade with me.

It was so loud on the inside, it rattled the console, T tops, steering wheel, etc etc. You could not hear yourself think and after driving for 10 mins with the windows up you got a headache. And it takes ALOT for me to get headaches! The sound of the cutout with no cat was much better than the damn Loudmouth, it just sounded like straight up booty crack. Just horrible.

Scott
          <hr></blockquote>

Hmm that is weird I run straight more or less with my Borla and it is not that loud on the inside. Outside it sounds like a truck with glass packs. I love going through drive throughs
          2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

so do you guys think that if I got a slp "loudmouth" exhaust, but then got 2 2.5" inlet "coffee can" mufflers I'd get deeper sound than w/o the mufflers? remember, I'm gonna have a FTRA installed soon and I already have a whisper lid, removed maf screen, and a K&N filter.

Comment

[img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] GMMG [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img]
              borla if ya want sound, the desgin is one tip has a muffler and the other is a cutout,IMO it looks gimp when its cold,haveing two tips and only one releasing steam(when the cutout is opened/closed all the way, if its half-way open it looks fine).
              The coffee can tips are louder, but they look very ricey [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wolf:
                [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] GMMG [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img]
                borla if ya want sound, the desgin is one tip has a muffler and the other is a cutout,IMO it looks gimp when its cold,haveing two tips and only one releasing steam(when the cutout is opened/closed all the way, if its half-way open it looks fine).
                The coffee can tips are louder, but they look very ricey [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                <hr></blockquote>

Actually the Borla still lets steam out of both tips when all the way open. I wondered that when I had it made.
                2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Actually the Borla still lets steam out of both tips when all the way open. I wondered that when I had it made.
                  <hr></blockquote>- cool more power to the borla but GMMG [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img]
                  I know a guy w/ a 84 cutlass, it has single exuhast but he glued a tip to the other side of his bumper [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] its so funny when when its cold outside i was afraid the borla would do the same
                  Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

what does gmmg stand for, and what is the design of the system?

Comment

go here and drool my friend
                      http://www.gmmginc.net/html/chamberedexhaust.html
                      :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

What is this Volant intake you speak of? I heard borla sounds bad, but maybe I shouldnt trust everything I hear without hearing it myself.
                        99 3.8 Camaro<br />Intake Mods: K&N filter, Whisper lid, free ram air, !air silencer, !maf screen<br />Exhaust Mods: Flowmaster 80 series, 3\" I-pipe, 3\" Cutout<br />Suspension: Intrax Springs (2\" drop)<br />Misc.: Fan switch mod, Hayden transmission cooler

Comment

wow, so the gmmg is a full cat-back, or just a rear section? that's basically what I'm looking for. how loud is it below 2500-3000 rpm's? how much power did you get from it?

Comment

its a full cat back for more info go to the topic "got chambered?"
                            it is a $700 kit however

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X