Whisper Lid and SSRA Installed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whisper Lid and SSRA Installed!

Well I finally gone and done it, I installed my parts as they came in over the past couple days. First I got my Whisper Lid (carbon fiber look, very spiffy!) and K&N filter. The only problem I had installing was that damn air sensor thing, it just didn't want to go into the new hole in the whisper, and definitely didn't want to fit in the rubber seal thing provided. I ended up sticking it partially in the rubber thing and then giving it a little "encouragement" into the hole and it popped right in! Just taking off that crappy stock lid and that humongous air silencer made such a differnce, the car runs smoother, idles lower, and the throttle response is awesome, oh and my exhaust note deepened a little especially at WOT. Only thing about it is that when I first start my car is kinda sounds off a little compared to stock. It shakes just a little at first and doesn't choke to like 1200 rpms like before, dunno if thats good or bad though. Overall, awesome mod, cost me $194 over at thunderracing.com including the cleaning kit for the K&N! Great deal!

The SSRA was much harder to install. First I had to take off the intake assembly, which I just put on 2 days before as you read above. Then I had to take off those annoying plastic things in front of the radiator. Finally I did the FRA mod so that the SSRA could breathe properly and luckily I had a Dremel! It took about an hour to get it just right (i'm so picky!) and I forgot to wear safety glasses about 3/4 of the way into it but finally broke down and got some after being hit in the eye with hot melted plastic a few times! Getting the SSRA to fit is SUCH a pain in the butt, the plastic pieces don't wanna fit together very well, I guess its not meant to seal completely cuz it has to go around that front bracket anyways. Finally got it in and added some of my own weather stripping under the bottom of the air intake assembly to seal it up good. Works GREAT, I can really feel a new pull on top end and once again my exhaust is deeper!

I got my Loud Mouth in today too but I can't install that myself (lack of lift and welder) so I'll have to wait until next week to get my mechanic to do it for me. Until then I'm heading to the track tomorrow for some runs, maybe spank a Civic or two, or ALL of them who knows [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Yeah, I installed basically the same things 2 or 3 weeks ago. I did them at the same time since I had to take the stock lid off anyway to put the SSRA on. When you say "the plastic pieces don't wanna fit together very well," what do you mean? Which parts? Mine seems to fit pretty well. At first mine didn't fit too well. My top portion of the box wasn't exactly centered and the botton part wasn't shoved as far as possible into the top. After I readjusted everything, it seemed to fit good.

I haven't had any problem scraping it yet. I guess this is b/c I have GFX and am used to driving without scraping them. If anyone is interested in this mod but worries about scraping, look at my site in the photo gallery and then under the mods done section. You can see how much clearance this actually has. Not to say you won't scrape, but it's not as threatening as it may seem at first.

Congrats on the mod. You'll love it, especially the throttle responce at highway speeds ;) .

Rob
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

Would the SSRA have the same gains as the whisper ram air/fast toys ram air?
      2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

would this think be pointless with a ram air hood or would it still help i konw the yno thhey calimed to do on the product was on an ss cmaro but it stil seems like it owuls jsut cause problems having that much air flowing in there at once
        no fate but what we make<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Red94Camaro:
          Would the SSRA have the same gains as the whisper ram air/fast toys ram air?<hr></blockquote>

It's probably similar, but I don't know for certain which is better. The only way to really find out would be to put one on, dyno, put the other on, dyno again, and compare numbers. I personally don't have the money to put down to do that indepth of testing, so I'm just going to stick with this kit for now.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blackbyrd:
          would this think be pointless with a ram air hood or would it still help i konw the yno thhey calimed to do on the product was on an ss cmaro but it stil seems like it owuls jsut cause problems having that much air flowing in there at once<hr></blockquote>
          I don't know how the ram air hood would get it's airflow into the airbox. This kit has a tunnel type thing that goes into the bottom of the lower air box. As long as you could keep it so air comes from there, they should be fine together. If you get it to pull the air from somewhere else too (the hood), that's all that much better. I don't want to get this debate started again, but ram air is not some kind of forced induction, I basically described it to a friend of mine as "a more efficient cold air kit." You don't have to worry about getting too much air in there, even with a ram air hood and this (or a FTRA or whisper ram air kit).

Rob

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]</p>
          <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

im not assuming that the hood is a sort of forced air induction i agrre with you completely on the intake thing, besides a hood sistn that affective until higher speeds anyway. i was just curious as to the fact that my air box has a whole in the front of it for the slp ho hood i have and i was just curiou sif i had the ssra woulhd the air escape from that opeing and circulate in the engine bay instead of the intake
            no fate but what we make<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              4 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X