Exhaust question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question...

I´m looking for a exhaust that will sound really good and at the same time i hope it will gain some horsies...What´s the difference between dual and quad exhaust?? Will it sound louder with quad or dual? Or is it just an apperance question? What would be best for my 3.4 L? I have thought about the B&B or the Borla...and probably i must buy headers to get the right sound or what? Please help...

sorry about this, but i'm not going to answer any of your questions, just ask some more:

does anybody know why different exhaust sizes (i.e. 2 1/2" vs. 3") cause low end torque to suffer? and what role headers play in this issue (even though i'm pretty sure we don't have much of a choice when it comes to headers)
    Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

For the first question, I have heard the B&B makes a great sounding cat-back and no you don't need headers but it will help. And for the second question and engine needs back pressure for the lowend torque. The small pipe you use the more back pressure you will have. Now you don't want to go any smaller then 2.25" on our cars. Any smaller and your engine will have a hard time breathing. The bigger the pipe (3") the more highend torque you will have. At high RPM's you are burning a lot of gas and getting it out as quick as you can will give you more power, but your lowend will suffer. The trick is to find the middle. Get a size that levels out the lowend and the high end. Headers help with breathing. They will help the lowend but more on the highend. If you have a Turbo or a supercharger you want big pipes. 3 incher at the least. With forced induction you are pushing air in and you need to let it get out ASAP so that more can be pushed in. I have read that 2.5 is the best all around size for our engine. Some people like the 3". I have 2.5" but am thinking of moving to a 2.75". I don't know why back pressure helps the lowend. someone else will have to explain that in more detail. I hope I cleared away some of the fog for you guys.
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by -=)FirrmaN(=-:
        What´s the difference between dual and quad exhaust?? Will it sound louder with quad or dual? Or is it just an apperance question?<hr></blockquote>

I think you mean dual or quad tips. A true dual exhaust on ours car would kill performance. A quad exhaust is just crazy...well, unless you drive a Honda civic :D . Tips don't make any difference in performance. Its just what ever you like best. I like quad tips personaly but I only have dual. I once saw a truck with 8 tips! yes 8. Very ugly.
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

a 2.75 pipe will be almost impossible to find unless you have someone make it. I'd go with 3" if i was you I did and i didnt lose any low end torque and gained tons on the top end.
          2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Is a 3" good for a V6? Isn´t it better for the V8? Well i don´t now so i should shut my mouth

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by -=)FirrmaN(=-:
              Is a 3" good for a V6? Isn´t it better for the V8? Well i don´t now so i should shut my mouth <hr></blockquote>

Nah man it's cool. You won't know if you don't ask. Exhaust and intake are the most two popular questions asked (I think exhaust is number one, then intake, then 160* thermostat next)...

3" exhaust and a 2.5" exhaust can both be used for a V6. The ONLY difference (besides the sizes of the pipe) is where the power kicks in from this mod. You get the 2.5", the power comes in at lower RPM's, you go with the 3" then the power comes in @ higher RPM's.

That's pretty much it.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Liquid Silver ]</p>
              <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

I still really need to know why 3" exhaust will hurt the low end...i've been trying to find that out for months. anybody got some links? (in case you are wondering, i am a big nerd and need to know!)
                Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

Look any exhuast will sound better then stock. I have a custom y-pipe made by my exhaust shop, 3inch car sound cat converter, 3inch piping back to a 3inch inlet 2.5inch dual outlet spintech muffler. I did not notice any low end torque loss and I gained considerable highend power. Not to mention it seems as though I am getting better gas mileage don't know yet until I fill up. I was getting on avg. about 16-16.5mpg. The mark I am usually at 100 miles on the tank. I am still a mark away from. I have 78.2 miles on this tank. It will not sound like an 8 ever. Mine sounds really close to a 305 v8 with duals though. Deepen the exhuast by getting an fipk or some similar cai, headers, and tips with resonators in them.
                  1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

Its all about back pressure...

here is a web site to help you out

http://www.warnertechnology.com/Cars/backpressure.shtml

I heard that there were was some testing to "determine if a variable back pressure muffler would be a feasable inclination" Anyone heard anything about this?

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: carldev96 ]</p>
                    1996 Firebird Y87<br />Dark Green

Comment

I have a 3" hi-flo cat and 3" I-pipe back to the flowmaster 80 and have no low end torque issues (yet). My torque curve is prestty much flat all the way across ... of course I still have the stock (non-tubular) manifolds. When I install the headers I expect the low-end torque number to drop some (but the N20 will make up for it :D ).

Different types of headers (long tube for example) will give different torque responses as well. The key is not "just" back pressure but how well the exhaust "scavenges" the cylinders. The exhaust pulse from one cylinder is "timed" by the headers to create a low pressure zone behind the pulse that helps to pull the exhaust gases out of the next cylinder in the fire order.

Hope this helps some.......
                      associate of <b><i>VENOM VI</i></b><br /><br />2000 WS6 Pewter TransAm M6<br /><b>NOT</b> stock<br /><b>330/346 rwhp/rwtq </b><br />(pre-headers)<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 Camaro M5 (the Silver Bullet) w/lot\'s of bolt-on\'s<br />-Ryan\'s car now-<br />60\': <b><i>2.165</i></b><br />1/8 run: <b><i>9.494 @ 72.57 mph<br />209rwhp/253rwtq</i></b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X