Fast Toys Ram Air Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Toys Ram Air Review

Ok well I just paid $100 for the FTRA and got it off of a Z28. The guy was kind enough to help me install it too. Anyway here's the 411 on install and how it feels.

Install: It took a while. If you know what you're doing, it'll take about 40min. Install went rather simple, except getting the plasitc deflector panel back in. The only problem was that his rubber sealing didn't line up with the V6. It was cut for the Z28 airbox so it was slightly short. I went to home depot and picked up A/C sealing foam to seal teh airbox. Did the same effect.

Performance: Before I explain, I understand the fact that most people "psychologically" feel that their car gains astronomical amounts of power, but I try to minimize this. I did a road test comparison before and after (clocking the time it took to accelerate to pass a car...not accurate or anything...but whatever). ANYWAY TO GET TO THE POINT. At slow speeds, there is an increase in throttle response, but acceleration is about the same. Once I hit the top of 2nd (A4...50-55MPH or so at 4K) the car comes to life. I can remember at this point the acceleration would be soft. Now it pulls just as hard at 80+MPH as it did when I was driving at 40MPH. Oh also, the transmission shifts much harder than before. I love it. It kinda has that V8 torquey feel on the highway now when I hit the gas.

BTW I think I gave the computer enough time to relearn the extra airflow. I had to drive to Miami (60mi away) to get the part so I got to drive 80+MPH the whole way back. It seemed to get stronger as the trip got longer. :D

I'd suggest getting a boost gauge to see exactly how much the ram air effect has on the car at highway speeds compared to city driving under 40 mph. Good job.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arctc Wolf:
      I'd suggest getting a boost gauge to see exactly how much the ram air effect has on the car at highway speeds compared to city driving under 40 mph. Good job.<hr></blockquote>

oh, lord.
      1, MAYBE 1.5 psi at around 80-90 MPH is ALL you will see.
      it's not a supercharger, it's a ram air kit. I too have it on mine. After driving it around (i got it in summer, so it's harder to tell), and some rock hard track evidence...i was able to clock a 14.97 @ 92.1 in 80* weather...when my best before that was a 14.92 @ 92.2 in about 55-60* weather. the biggest place i notice an increase is for a downshift on the highway. the acceleration combined with the speed you're already going, really is where this mod shines.

PS. A boost guage on ram air is a WASTE.
      2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

lol the boost gauge idea might have been cool, but I tend to agree it would be a waste.

Oh btw, I've noticed one thing for sure. From 50-60MPH is where my car would slug in acceleration, and now it just flies. :D

Comment

lmperformance is selling something similar to the fasttoys ram air but this thing is longer and sits right below your front bumber. Looks pretty sweet check it out.
          1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

yea it's called the SSRA (SuperSucker Ram Air). It's very expensive (if I remember...around $300). Plus it sits right under the grill. The problem is that once it rains you're most likely scrwed. I like the whole block-off plate on the Ram Air so I can go back to stock induction in about 3 minutes.

Comment

Couldn't you make a plate to put over the whole when it rains? Do ppl with ram air hoods have problems with rain since its open right there in the front.
              1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

I have a Ram Air hood but it is not functional. I havent had any problems. Maybe if I had the Ram Air box kit that comes on WS6's I could tell you but for now I havent had any problems. I am considering the FTRA but I need to find a used one cheap. It just isn't worth $180. I would like to complete my induction set up with a CAI but I need to find a hook up. :(
                <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

A couple questions, how much hotter will this make my motor run? and will it affect the a/c much?

Comment

I like mine, filter and intake done at the same time... check sig, I'm pleased [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      5 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X