OBD2?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD2?!?

I went to get my exhaust system done and they said something about my cat running me $300!!! He was telling me about obd2. I have a 95 camaro. Why is it that I cant just get a normal hi flow cat?
    There is fast, too fast, and way too fast. Way too fast is almost fast enough.

You're being owned by the exhaust shop. What is your motor? 3.4?

Edit: Just checked your profile -- 3.8 You ARE obd2 -- its a "newer" computer/engine management/emissions control system too put it in the simplest terms possible. If you dont run a cat you will throw an SES light. I dunno why he'd tell you $300 for a high flow cat tho.

[ January 26, 2004: Message edited by: KBeezy ]</p>
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Yes, I do have a 3.8. But i am wondering what it is that makes me need these special cats? Why is it that i cant get a normal one? Also, how much should I expect to pay for one of these things?
      There is fast, too fast, and way too fast. Way too fast is almost fast enough.

Comment

A high flow cat doesn't perform the job as well as stock OBDII cats and it will set an SES code unless you use a O2 sim on your rear O2 sensor. Just buy one and have them hook up a high flow cat and you will be fine.
        <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Check around, one of the guys here said that they came out with at least one CARB approved high-flow cat.

Also, I don't know why, but the 95-99 cats are f***ing expensive from GM, almost double what a cat for a 00+ costs.
          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I bought a carsound high-flow cat back in july of 2003, and no ses light yet. Paid $70 shipped to my door, and welded it myself. A shop can weld it in for you that should cost no more than $40-$50. At total, you are looking to spend $120, but it's alot better sounding, performance, and cheaper than the stock converter. Check with FireFighter (James) on this board, he too got a carsound and loves it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Marc
            sigpic

Comment

would the car sound high flo cat change the sound at all on a stock v6 exhaust?

Comment

Exhaust shop is pwning you.. tell him to get you a normal flow carsound(if your worried about SES and want it cheaper) or a highflow carsound(should be under $200 easily, but MAY set off SES, I have it and have no SES light)
                00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by M5Camaro:
                  would the car sound high flo cat change the sound at all on a stock v6 exhaust?<hr></blockquote>

If you keep the stock muffler (BLAH!), then it may make it a 'tad bit louder. You probably wouldn't notice.

-Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

Just curious...but why does getting an aftermarket cat usually set the SES?

Not that it matters for me...every California shop out here won't touch the cats because of the law.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hockeyman:

If you keep the stock muffler (BLAH!), then it may make it a 'tad bit louder. You probably wouldn't notice.

-Marc
                      <hr></blockquote>

find me a decent exhaust that doesnt sound like *** then...

Comment

<hr></blockquote>

What I have...Dynomax. Doesn't have the popping sound on deceleration, and doesn't have the 6cyl rumble like the flowmaster 80 series. Has a nice low tone, and still somewhat quiet.

-Marc
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm in Cali and I got a Hi Flo CarSound Cat :D
                          1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

<hr></blockquote>

Try pacesetters with a highflo cat and a Triflow exhaust....guaranteed not to pop or be raspy.
                            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Yo F1GT, do you know the P/N#? I guess recently in CA they came out with a CARB cat...

Shop won't install unless its CARB. :mad:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X