Legal or illegal..SLP loudmouth exhaust - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal or illegal..SLP loudmouth exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal or illegal..SLP loudmouth exhaust

Im putting a SLP loudmouth exhaust system on my bird and i live in MI...i was just wondering if anyone knew what the sound regulations were for MI and if im gonna get in trouble for haveing an exhaust this loud....i know its gonna pass the emissions test but not so sure about the sound test....also, if i get a new exhaust do i hjave to get it tested and if so where?.....
    1998 Firebird 3.8L<br />Whisper air lid with K&N<br />Texas Speed and Performance Rumbler catback<br />Hypertech 160 degree Powerstat<br />AIM ID= defect111<br />Groveland Township Firefighter

You live in michigan and have to pass emissions? uhh, no such thing down here in Lansing. And no, dont worry about getting pulled over.
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

I remember hearing they claim 50 state legality (as far as sound goes) but I could be wrong [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

Yea but 50 state legality doesn't mean your good locally, I think that only applies to federal law, which is direct bolt in replacement of part of the emissions system.

You could put on a "50 state legal" exhaust, and still fail inspection because it's not accepted by your state/local code.
        \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

but if you took law classes at all you'd know that local or state law's can not out rank Federal. If it's legal at a Federal level it can't be ranked illegal at a state level. but if Federal regulations don't have a standard or allow state's to regulate also then it could be illegal. i just called my old law teacher to ask about this. If a federal law allows something that a state law may not it goes to the high courts. usually the government allows states to make their own vehicle laws though so you could be in trouble. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
          2000 Grand Prix GTP- Bronzemist Metallic: K&N Fenderwell Intake,3.4\" Thrasher Pulley, v1.0 DHP PCM, 3\" Mandrel Bent DP,Ubend Delete,Dynomax SuperTurbos, 180* Thermostat.<br />Soon to come: ZZP SSIntercooler or N20 or both:)

Comment

Just because the government doesn't say something isn't illegal doesn't mean a state can't make it illegal. Just the way our system works. Notice I said "doesn't say something isn't illegal" (not "says its legal"). Just because it passes federal regulations doesn't mean it passes state or city regulations.
            For example, there is a small city in texas called Rising Star. Engine breaking is illegal there due to city ordinance, and thats the only place in texas I've come across it being illegal.

[ January 25, 2004: Message edited by: ReodDai ]</p>
            00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cole Angrimson:
              but if you took law classes at all you'd know that local or state law's can not out rank Federal. If it's legal at a Federal level it can't be ranked illegal at a state level. but if Federal regulations don't have a standard or allow state's to regulate also then it could be illegal. i just called my old law teacher to ask about this. If a federal law allows something that a state law may not it goes to the high courts. usually the government allows states to make their own vehicle laws though so you could be in trouble. <hr></blockquote>

States and local government can make laws more strict than federal laws....but not less strict.
              <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by speedy-v6-camaro:

States and local government can make laws more strict than federal laws....but not less strict.
                <hr></blockquote>

i couldn't have said it better myself
                Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Guys, federal laws outweigh state and local laws ALL THE TIME. there is no argument about it.

If federal law bans abortion, and a state says its legal, ITS NOT! Federal law outweighs all state laws, no matter WHAT!

Federal govt. has final say...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ian:
                    Guys, federal laws outweigh state and local laws ALL THE TIME. there is no argument about it.

If federal law bans abortion, and a state says its legal, ITS NOT! Federal law outweighs all state laws, no matter WHAT!

<hr></blockquote>

Actually the supreme court has final say -- whether or not you pursue it that far is another thing ;) But as it was stated: A state can have more strict laws than federal, but not less strict.

All they mean by 50 State Legal is it meets the requirements of STATE laws. There are essentially no FEDERAL laws about modifying a car. A 50 STATE legal cat back system may be STATE legal but city-wide/ordinance laws are different. One thing can be legal in Michigan but not legal in Detroit. Know what I mean?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ian:

<hr></blockquote>

Please re-read my statement above.
                      <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Hmmm... so back to cars for a moment. In California it is illegal to make your exhaust system louder than stock. No one follows that rule though. Also, there is no need to get the car tested after instaling any of this. (But again this is all in CA and they are pretty strict out here, so I dont know)
                        There is fast, too fast, and way too fast. Way too fast is almost fast enough.

Comment

I dunno, but I remember reading somewhere in a magazine that "50 State Legal" does not mean you will pass inspection. For an exhaust, it's called "50 State Legal" because it acts as a direct replacement. However, it can still fail inspection/local law. There was an article about the whole "50 State Legal" stamp that so many companies/catalogs love to use, but in actuality they may mean nothing.
                          \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

SLP = street legal performance
                            -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

I do emissions and state inspection here in utah and there is no way i could fail anyone for loud exhaust. As long as they have mufflers and cats. For now anyways.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X