welding the EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding the EGR

can't you weld the EGR to make it permanently stop leaking? yes, i know that if you ever needed to unhook it you'd have to hack it and yadda yadda. also, i know that shops wont do it, and i dont own a welder.. but would a simple kit be able to do the job? something like this?. the ticking doesnt bother me, i just dont want it to slow me down at the track. and i tried copper RTV, it just burns off after about 2 weeks and the tick is back. any ideas?
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

I just had the damn thing welded permanently closed, then removed the whole EGR assembly.

Took a bit of talking with the guys at the muffler shop, but they finally went for it.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

didnt you throw a code after doing that? did you erase it with tuning? the only other way i could think of is getting that thing from zzperformance that deletes the code. wish i had done this BEFORE i got my TSP tune.. oh well. whatd you say to make them do it?
      Dave:
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I got the ZZP EGR sim to avoid the code, but now it could easily be done with tuning...no need for cutting wires then.

I just asked them to weld over it. They told me bad things would happen, but I explained it to them. Finally they agreed. You're more likely to get a "backyard" guy to do it instead of a professional shop.
        Matt
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

yea. meineke gave me the red flag. but the guy who's installed my catback/cutout is pretty cool. maybe i can coax him for a 20 bucks on the side or something. im gunna have to get that simulator too..

it can just as easily be welded up and sealed as it is taken off and sealed right? id rather do that to avoid getting the simulator.

what about that link i have in the top? would something like that work?
          Dave:
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I don't know what material that pipe is made out of. It's pretty soft, but you may or may not be able to weld it to the header.

Personally, I don't know a thing about welding, so I can't help you there. ;)
            Matt

Comment

haha ok thanks.ill just take it back to the guy where i got my stuff installed and ask him. i have a buddy with an arc welder. but he thinks i should use a tig welder instead. i dont know anything about welders either so i dont really know what he meant. haha. anyone have any other usefull info?

thanks 98Camaro3.8 youve helped me out once again haha.
              Dave:
              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:

Personally, I don't know a thing about welding, so I can't help you there. ;)
                [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I don't believe Matt does not know something that can be related to our cars...
                -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X