It is done!!! 2000+ Manifolds on a 99..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is done!!! 2000+ Manifolds on a 99.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is done!!! 2000+ Manifolds on a 99.....

I did it Monday, I swapped the 2000+ manifolds and y-pipe on to my 99 Camaro :D . It's so nice. I put my new MSD wires on tonight, and it took less than 20 minutes :D :D .

Anyhow, parts wise, all you need are the manifolds; manifold gaskets (to the head); y-pipe; A/C line between the compressor, accumulator, and condensor; and an oil dipstick tube (that's all I can think of for now).

If at all possible, plan on doing it on a lift, it will go MUCH quicker (and it will still go slow, it took me 12 hours). Getting the manifold bolts in and out is a major B****.

If you're in northern California, I can hook you up with the shop where I got mine done.

And, yes, there is a performance difference, it's quicker, with better torque throughout the rpm range, and it sounds a little lopier at idle, and sounds better up from there.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

You installed it at that shop yourself or you got it installed there? How much is the hook up? and whats the parts total?
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

where in northern california? im thinkin bout havin the swap done over summer
      I guess I\'d have answer your question with another question.<br /><br />How many Abidiginals do you see in modeling??????<br /><br />headers, 3inch magnaflow cat, Loudmouth<br />99 Midnight Blue Firebird<br />3.8L A4

Comment

maybe im just stupid, but if you were going to mess with all that, why didnt you just get all out headers?
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/325081\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Red Firebird M5</a><br />not enough mods

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98Firebird:
          maybe im just stupid, but if you were going to mess with all that, why didnt you just get all out headers?<hr></blockquote>

He is in CA....
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

so i couldn't probably just throw a set of 2000 manifolds on my 98 without messin with anything else? obviously i'd have to get gaskets, but i'd have to replace y-pipe and condenser and all that other BS? it's too much trouble for me if i have to do all that stuff but i have the manifolds sitting in my garage and if you did that stuff just to do it or whatever then i'll go do it this weekend.

Comment

I will be willing to sell my old manifolds after this weekend..

Comment

The shop's in Hayward, it's called Black Magic Racing (Black Magic Speed and Performance officially), he's in the process of setting up his shop there, from Antioch.

www.blackmagic-racing.com (925)518-3283

He will do the swap for $500 plus parts. The $500 includes venting the A/C system, changing the line, and recharging the system, and then installing the new manifolds and y-pipe.

98V6, you don't need to replace the condensor, the only part of the A/C that needs to be changed (and the primary interference to the change) is the line that comes off the back of the compressor, and goes to the condensor and the accumulator.

So, you'll need:

The A/C line (about $40 from GM, plus refigerant to recharge the system);

the manifolds (whatever you get them for);

manifold gaskets ($10 or so);

I would recommend also changing the manifold-to-y-pipe seals (about $15);

the y-pipe (about $350 plus shipping new, because the cat is part of the y-pipe, but you'd also get a new cat as part of the deal, and the new cat is also easier to modify for a cat-back exhaust set-up);

the oil dipstick tube (I had to tweak my original one, I'm going to order the one shortly);

You could stick with your original plug wires if you wanted, but I went with new ones.

Like I said, it's worth it just to be able to just reach in and pull the plugs out without playing acrobat to do it, not to mention how much easier it's going to be to do my cat-back now.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
                Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

so it actually cost you quit a bit to do this. can you give me an exact, or approximate amount of how much you spent. im in college so money is hard to come by
                  I guess I\'d have answer your question with another question.<br /><br />How many Abidiginals do you see in modeling??????<br /><br />headers, 3inch magnaflow cat, Loudmouth<br />99 Midnight Blue Firebird<br />3.8L A4

Comment

well see i have the manifolds and all in my garage, and the y-pipe but right now i have a cutout on my y pipe so it would be uncool to have to change it... if i can get in and do it without having to touch the AC that would be ideal, but what changes when you replace the line? wouldn't a new OEM one be just like the one you take off?

Comment

98v6, the A/C line on the 95-99 cars comes straight out of the back of the compressor, and then makes a 180* bend to go forward, and that line gets in the way of the passenger side manifold.

The 2000+ line comes out at a 90* angle to the back of the compressor, so it doesn't interfere with the manifold. Until you change that line, you won't be able to get the manifold on the head.

Snuffalofogus, it really depends on where you pick the parts up, you can get the manifolds on here for like $75.

The y-pipe, you could either get used, or spring for a new one (about $400 through a place like GM Parts Direct, more through a dealership). If you can get the money, I'd recommend getting the new one, simply because the cat is part of the y-pipe, so you'd be installing a new cat as part of the whole thing. But, you'd be fine installing a used one for the time being.

The A/C line is about $40, the dipstick tube is about $7.50 from a dealership. Gaskets are about $10-$20, if you change the seals between the manifolds and y-pipe, they'll be about $20 or so.

The line that goes between the EGR valve and the exhaust manifold is actually different, but if you're careful, you can tweak your stock one into place, and not have to get the new one, which is $30 or $40.

Then there's the O2s, you don't have to change them, but it's a prime time to do them, same thing with new plug wires.

When I did the install, it cost me less, because I know the guy, and did a lot of the labor, and mine was the first one which he was using as the guinea pig, so I got a discount on the price (my wife was still grumbling, though, so I know where you're coming from).

This is something that, if you do a lot of your own work on the car, then I'd recommend doing it, because the money I spent on everything, parts, labor, and all, was well worth it, just because I can change the plugs in less than 20 minutes now, instead of an hour +.

Not only that, but the car runs better, and my new cat-back will be much easier to install, because of the way the new cat is designed.

I have a list of all of the parts, and the GM Part Numbers for all of them, at work, I'll post it up here this weekend.

Comment

$500 buckers? dang,.,.what if I order the Pacesetters, how much would he install it for? $100? :D
                        I know headers are a no no in Cali because it won't pass visual inspections, but I know some peeps who can smog for me and prolly willing to over look that,,hehe
                        1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X