port and polish intake manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• port and polish intake manifolds

how much hp could one expect to get from port and polishing thier upper and lower intake manifolds??
    _davjos81- 02 v6<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81 </a><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\"> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81</a> </a> <br /><br />-over $8,000 invested! Too many mods to list, just check out my site!!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by davjos81:
    how much hp could one expect to get from port and polishing thier upper and lower intake manifolds??<hr></blockquote>

I have pondered the same things about getting my upper and lower ported ...
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

assuming that ur car is a 2002, and based on ur mods, not very much. Have you removed ur maf screen yet? if ur car is a 2002 u will be able to pick up at least 5 rwhp and 5 rwtq from it. after doing that, I'd say a modest 3-5 rwhp gain at higher rpm's will be seen, based on ur mods. this will help even more if you ever port/polish ur heads, do a cam, and open up ur exhaust more, as well as up ur rpm limiter. I don't know how much they port the runners and plenum, so u may see a gain in the mid-range rpm's as well. I know that polishing it alone will improve air velocity to the heads. I'd say that u'd benefit from doing this mod since u have the other bolt-on's done.

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Arctc Wolf ]</p>
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Actually, there's not a whole lot to port, there a couple of spots in where the intake runners open up to the main plenum on the upper intake manifold that could use some work.

However, they (GM) didn't leave much meat on the intake runners, so you have to be really careful if you work on that part.

As to the lower manifold, other than port matching, there's not much to be doen there either. I was looking at the way that the injector boss sticks into the runner, and some work could be done with it (mainly, adding material ahead of it, and making it blend better), but I don't know if they designed it the way they did to induce turbulence into the air, so that it gets mixed properly.
        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Well, I had my upper and lower intake manifold ported to hell!

I could not put a # on the gains.

I did notice everything flows better, especially when you add a power adder
          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Did you have them work the injector boss?
            Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Mines on a 3.4 -- I forgot to mention that, if it has any bearing on how much it can be ported as compared to the 3.8
              Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

i've done mine, and have pics (as well as them for sale)...

i can say there's a bit of material to be worked, especially if you want to gasket match the ports.

and it's worth a few more than 3hp, Patrick.
                2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

I was being conservative, as usual. U know I don't like to get ppl's hopes up, and have them come back to haunt me cuz of something not going as well as expected. also, I believe I said 3 rwhp, which can vary of course depending on other mods to the drivetrain and engine.

James, who ported ur manifolds?

How much work was dome to yours navy? Most ppl who port things tend to do the major stuff, meaning increasing plenum and runner volumes and port-matching to gaskets, but did you also try to smooth out anyquick transitions, add any material to improve velocity around the injector bosses like was mentioned above, port & polish after material was added? are ur heads completely polished ont he inside? I'm not able to see ur pics, so that's why i'm asking all of this.

[ January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Arctc Wolf ]</p>
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Unless you have aftermarket heads or a power adder, you do not need to port and polish the intake.

Comment

while i didn't add any material, i went and port matched, and put a mirror finish on the upper manifold, the lower manifold where it meets the upper manifold, and a satin finish where the lower manifold meets the head.

I don't think there's really any need to add material.

and YES, you can still see some gains birdman. Go look at the inside of the intake manifold sometime, you'll understand.
                      2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BirdmanV6:
                        Unless you have aftermarket heads or a power adder, you do not need to port and polish the intake.<hr></blockquote>

...Who said I dont? ;)

Comment

If you ever look at a (1994) 3.4L manifold you can clearly see what needs to be cut.
                          I wouldn't know about the upper on a 3.4 because my upper and lower plenum is from a 2.8L (also P&P).
                          I did the P&P my self.
                          \'85 Z28, T-tops new LG4 and TH700<br />\'85 3.4L 5-speed<br />mods: <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4</a> the nitrous exhaust O2 safety, pg 3. <br />Areo space materal engineer wantabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X